Competition Number: 18010
Job Title: Arborist
Department: Parks Maintenance Division - Public Works Services
Employment Type: Regular (INTERNAL POSTING - OPEN TO EMPLOYEES ONLY)
Salary: $34.29 / hr
Posted Date: January 29, 2018, 12:00 am
Closing Date: February 5, 2018, 4:00 pm
Last Modified: February 15, 2018, 11:06 am
Employees Only Competition - You must be a CURRENT City of Courtenay Employee to apply for this position
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of "Arborist” in the Parks Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the Horticulture Supervisor, the Arborist performs technical and administrative work in developing, coordinating and implementing the tree management program for the City. The Arborist will be responsible for preparing and maintaining a comprehensive tree inventory, providing technical and program guidance to a variety of internal and external contacts, and performing skilled arboriculture work as required. The Arborist will direct other staff in carrying out arboriculture related duties, and will participate as an in member of the Parks Maintenance division in a number of horticulture related tasks and duties as required.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Graduate from a recognized school of horticulture or university in an arboriculture related discipline
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Certified Arborist with the International Society of Arborists
- Qualified Tree Risk Assessor with the International Society of Arborists
- Eligibility to obtain the Municipal Specialist Certification by the International Society of Arborists an asset
- Considerable (a minimum of five years) experience working directly in an arboriculture focused position
- Some (1-2 years) experience in project planning with a demonstrated ability to prepare labour and cost estimates while working within prescribed budgets
- Thorough knowledge of arboriculture principles, practices and techniques, and of tree species, diseases, pests and treatment methods.
- Ability to develop, implement and coordinate arboriculture work plans with consideration of applicable policies and procedures and arboriculture care standards
- Ability to conduct tree risk assessments, assess tree related problems, diagnose tree diseases and determine required actions
- Ability to perform skilled arboriculture work including pruning, planting, and tree removal as required
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Sound office computer skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to assign, review and assess the work of one or more staff engaged in arboriculture work and to coordinate and oversee the work of contracted crews
- Ability to deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, construction design standards and specifications
- Ability to read blue prints, landscape plans and schematics, and occasionally use survey equipment
- Physical ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, and stand and walk throughout the day; frequently climb ladders and work in inclement weather
The 2018 wage rate, based on a 40-hour workweek, is $34.29 / hour.
Interested persons should submit a resume outlining how they meet the above qualifications, along with a covering letter clearly marked "Application – Arborist" no later than 4:00 p.m. on February 5, 2018.
To apply, click on the "Submit" button below.
No additional documents available for this post.