Competition Number: --
Job Title: GIS Technician
Department: Legislative Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: $28.77/hr to start / $30.31/hr after 3 months / $31.24 after 6 months
Posted Date: November 5, 2017, 12:00 am
Closing Date: November 30, 2017, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: January 7, 2018, 8:13 am
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of "GIS Technician” in the Information Technology Division of Legislative Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the GIS Coordinator, this position is responsible for GIS data collection, data entry, and data manipulation. The GIS Technician also generates maps and reports utilizing ESRI software and collects data using GPS tools.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Degree in Geographic Information Systems or Geography/Environmental Science or Studies, Computer Sciences, or Engineering with a focus on GIS, OR Advanced GIS Diploma, from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Current Criminal Record Clearance
- Some (1 - 2 years) experience working with GIS databases and editing using ESRI ArcGIS software, developing and maintaining GIS data and other GIS output products including use of ESRI software and Global Positioning System (G.P.S) units for data collection.
- Some (minimum four months) local government GIS related experience.
- Considerable knowledge of modern component-based GIS tools and methodology for municipal and utility based GIS use.
- Some knowledge of AutoCAD as related to municipal infrastructure mapping;
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to translate client requirements into appropriate GIS reports and thematic maps
- Physical ability to occasionally navigate through City trails, streets and sidewalks while taking GPS readings.
This is a full-time regular position based on a 35-hour workweek available immediately. Hours of work are generally 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
The 2017 wage rates are $28.77 to start, $30.31 after 3 months, and $31.24 after 6 months along with a comprehensive benefit package.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a letter of application and resume clearly marked "Application – GIS Technician" no later than November 5, 2017.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.