Competition Number: 18008
Job Title: Journeyman Mechanic
Department: Public Works Services - Transportation & Utilities Maintenance Division
Employment Type: Relief
Posted Date: February 8, 2018, 12:00 am
Closing Date: February 22, 2018, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: March 9, 2018, 4:37 pm
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the temporary position of "Journeyman Mechanic” in the Public Works Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
As an integral member of the Transportation & Utilities Maintenance team and reporting to the Fleet Foreman, you will provide input in the planning, organization and implementation of systematic preventative maintenance programs. This position also plans and schedules repairs, tests, and inspections; Inspects, services, repairs and maintains, to a journeyman level, vehicles, equipment, power tools and equipment, hand tools; Identifies and requisitions parts, supplies and materials. The Mechanic also documents and maintains records on all maintenance and repairs and assists in the preparation of cost and quantity estimates.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12
- Journeyman Red Seal certification in heavy duty or commercial transport mechanics
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License with air endorsement (Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement would be an asset) • BC Commercial Vehicle Inspection Certificate
- First Aid Emergency Level - Industry and CPR Level A Certification
- Considerable (5 years) post-journeyman experience in the maintenance, repair, and safe operation of light and heavy equipment, including welding
- Extensive knowledge of proper methods and procedures for mechanical maintenance and repair including hydraulic and hydrostatic systems
- Considerable knowledge of health and safety regulations and practices relating to a mechanical shop
- Sound knowledge of vehicle computer diagnostic systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, and fleet repair manuals
- Ability to prioritize, plan, and schedule work
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, stand and walk throughout the day; occasionally work in confined spaces and in inclement weather
**Consideration may also be given to those that are currently registered with ITABC as a Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (HDET) Apprentice**
This is a temporary full-time position available immediately for a minimum of 1 month or until the return of the incumbent. Hours of work are generally 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. The 2018 wage rates, based on a 40-hour workweek, are $36.22 / hour.
Interested persons should submit a resume outlining how they meet the above qualifications, along with a covering letter clearly marked "Application –Relief Journeyman Mechanic" no later than February 22, 2018.
To submit your application, click on the "Apply" button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.