Competition Number: 18007
Job Title: Painter/Signman
Department: Public Works Services - Transportation & Utilities Maintenance Division
Employment Type: Relief
Salary: $32.09 / hr
Posted Date: February 6, 2018, 6:00 pm
Closing Date: February 20, 2018, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: February 21, 2018, 8:59 am
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the temporary position of "Painter/Signman” at the Public Works yard. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
As an integral member of the Roads Crew and reporting to the Roads Foreman, the Painter/Signman prepares, paints, and installs signs, markers, parking stalls, stop lines and directional markers; assists in the construction and/or installation, maintenance, and repair of roads related infrastructure; performs a variety of manual labour tasks such as concrete and asphalt work, digging trenches, laying pipes, traffic control, picking up litter, etc. This position also includes operating light trucks and equipment; reading and interpreting standard construction drawings and plans; identifying and requisitioning parts, supplies, materials, tools and equipment; assisting with record keeping duties.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Sound (3 years) experience in roads construction, maintenance and repair relating to sign installation and paint and its applications to roadways and the safe operation of related equipment
- Considerable knowledge of methods and practices employed in sign installation and line marking and eradication
- Considerable knowledge of paint product and application and sound knowledge of WHMIS requirements
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to interpret and apply City bylaws, policies, procedures, engineering design standards and specifications
- Ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, stand and walk throughout the day; occasionally work in confined spaces, and frequently work in inclement weather
Additional requirements after hiring:
- First Aid Emergency Level – Industry and CPR Level A Certification
- Traffic Control Training
- WHMIS Certification and other job related safety training
This is a temporary full-time position available immediately until the return of the incumbent. Hours of work are generally 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
The 2018 wage rate, based on a 40-hour workweek, is $32.09 per hour.
Interested persons should submit a resume outlining how they meet the above qualifications, along with a covering letter clearly marked "Application – Relief Painter/Signman", no later than February 20, 2018.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.