Competition Number: 17031
Job Title: Planner 1
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: $36.72 / hr (2017 Wage Rate)
Posted Date: December 4, 2017, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 26, 2017, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: December 12, 2017, 11:49 am
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of "Planner I” in the Development Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the Manager of Planning, this position involves performing a variety of professional planning duties such as reviewing minor land use and development applications to ensure compliance with appropriate regulations and legislation; preparing reports, permits and bylaws; responding to planning enquiries; assisting with policy development; and coordinating public consultation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Degree from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program, or have an equivalent combination of post-secondary education and work experience
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Candidates with a degree from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program require 1 year related planning experience OR Candidates with a degree in land use planning or related field require 3 years’ experience in local government planning with an emphasis on land use
- Sound knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal planning
- Sound knowledge of planning legislation and applicable bylaws and subdivision control provisions and requirements
- Strong interpersonal, communication, research, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills • Strong office computer skills
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment in making planning recommendations • Ability to work well as a team member and independently
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, professional consultants, representatives of government, business and development, and City staff
- Sound work ethics
- Criminal Record Check
This is a full-time position available immediately. Hours of work are generally 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The 2017 hourly wage rate based on a 35-hour workweek is $36.72.
If you take pride in serving your community and your personal values align with the City of Courtenay’s core values, then submit your resume and covering letter outlining how you meet the above qualifications no later than December 26, 2017.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.