Seasonal Gardener 1
Job Title: Seasonal Gardener 1
Department: Parks Maintenance Division - Public Works Services
Employment Type: Seasonal
Salary: $30.29 / hr
Posted Date: August 11, 2017, 12:00 am
Closing Date: August 27, 2017, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: December 8, 2017, 6:08 am
The City of Courtenay has three "Seasonal Gardener 1" positions to fill in the Parks Maintenance Division. These are union positions subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The incumbents’ duties and responsibilities relate to the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of sports fields, turf areas, parks, boulevards, walkways, trails, specific garden areas, and irrigation systems, etc. This includes preparing parks, fields, etc. for public event use, and installing and maintaining parks playgrounds and equipment; picking up garbage and litter, and carrying out other general labour type duties.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Current Cross Connection Control Testers Certificate or Pesticide Applicators Certificate
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Some (two years) experience in irrigation practices relating to the construction and maintenance of landscaped areas such as parks, boulevards, walkways, and sports fields, etc.
- Some experience in construction/handyman work
- Some experience in the safe operation of equipment such as self-propelled mowers, tractors, loaders, turf vac sweepers, etc.
- Sound knowledge of construction and maintenance methods and techniques relevant to landscaping, sports turf and grass management
- Some knowledge of horticulture practices and tree management OR some knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of irrigation and drainage systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to oversee the work of others
- Physical ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, and stand and walk throughout the day; frequently climb ladders and work in inclement weather
These positions are available March through October on an annual basis. The current hourly wage rate is $30.29 based on a 40-hour workweek.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a cover letter along with a resume clearly outlining how they meet the
qualifications, clearly marked "Application – Seasonal Gardener 1” no later than August 27th, 2017.
To submit your application, click on "Apply" below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.