Seasonal Gardener 1
Competition Number: 18002
Job Title: Seasonal Gardener 1
Department: Public Works Services - Parks Maintenance Division
Employment Type: Seasonal
Posted Date: January 10, 2018, 12:00 am
Closing Date: February 4, 2018, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: February 5, 2018, 8:57 am
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the "Seasonal Gardener 1" position in the Parks Maintenance Division. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Working as part of a cooperative team effort, the incumbent’s duties and responsibilities relate to the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of sports fields, turf areas, parks, boulevards, walkways, trails, specific garden areas, and irrigation systems, etc., including preparing parks, fields, etc. for public event use, and installing and maintaining parks playgrounds and equipment; picking up garbage and litter, and carrying out other general labour type duties.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Current Pesticide Applicators Certificate OR Cross Connection Control Testers Certificate
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Some (two years) experience in sports turf, horticulture, OR irrigation practices relating to the construction and maintenance of landscaped areas such as parks, boulevards, walkways, and sports fields, etc.
- Some experience in construction/handyman work
- Some experience in the safe operation of equipment such as self-propelled mowers, tractors, loaders, turf vac sweepers, etc.
- Sound knowledge of construction and maintenance methods and techniques relevant to landscaping, sports turf and grass management
- Some knowledge of horticulture practices and tree management OR some knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of irrigation and drainage systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to oversee the work of others
- Physical ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, and stand and walk throughout the day; frequently climb ladders and work in inclement weather
- Sound work ethics
This is a regular seasonal position available at the end of February. The current hourly wage rate is $30.89 based on a 40-hour workweek.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a resume and covering outlining how they meet these qualifications, no later than February 4, 2018.
To submit your application, click on the "Apply" button below.
No additional documents available for this post.