The City of Courtenay is part of the Comox Valley water system, which is operated by the Comox Valley Regional District.
For full information on water restrictions, go to: www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/restrictions
Stage One Water Restrictions Now in Effect
|Even Address||Odd Address|
During stage 1
- A person may only use a sprinkler to water a lawn growing on a property with
(i) an even numbered address, between the hours of 4:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. on an even numbered day. They may not use a sprinkler to water the lawn on any other day or time; and
(ii) an odd numbered address, between the hours of 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on an odd numbered day. They may not use a sprinkler to water the lawn on any other day or time.
- Local governments may use a sprinkler to water parks, ornamental lawns and grassed boulevards between the hours of 11:00p.m.-7:00a.m. on even numbered days for even numbered addresses and odd numbered days for odd numbered addresses;
- a person may
(i) water trees, shrubs, flowers, and vegetables on any day with a sprinkler during the prescribed hours for stage 1 lawn watering and on any day at any time if watering is done by hand held container or a hand held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle;
(ii) water newly planted trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables by any method during installation and for the following 24 hours;
(iii) use micro-irrigation or drip-irrigation systems to water trees, shrubs, flowers, and vegetables at any time on any day;
(iv) under the authority of a permit, water new sod on installation and during the first 21 days after installation, and water newly seeded lawns until growth is established or for 49 days after installation, whichever is less, with a sprinklerbut only during the prescribed stage 1 lawn watering hours, and at any time if watering is done by a hand held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle;
(v) water all-weather playing fields at any time if failure to do so will result in a permanent loss of plant material; and
(vi) wash a vehicle with water using a hand held container or hand held hose equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle and at car dealerships or commercial car washes.
As exceptions to the stage 1 restrictions
- Owners or occupiers of property who, by reason of physical or mental incapacity, and where such incapacity has been documented by a medical practitioner, are unable to water their property within the restricted days and times, may water their property on any two days of the week for a maximum of nine hours per day;
- Nurseries, farms, turf farms, and tree farms are exempted from the restrictions;
- Local government water parks and pools are exempt from the restrictions; and
- Owners or operators of golf courses may water
(i) trees, shrubs, flowers, and vegetables grown on golf courses in accordance with stage 1 sections 1 (c) (i), (ii), and (iii) of this schedule; and
(ii) fairways, golf greens and tees on any day if failure to do so will result in permanent loss of plant material.