Fire Service Review
The City of Courtenay has completed a lengthy and thorough evaluation of fire services and requirements. Two separate, independent third-party reports have concluded that a second fire hall in East Courtenay is needed, along with a training ground tailored to Courtenay’s specific community needs.
Based on these recommendations, Courtenay City Council has voted unanimously to proceed with plans to construct a scenario-based training ground in East Courtenay without further delay. Council also voted to begin planning for an East Courtenay Fire Hall in 2015, subject to further design and cost review. Construction would begin in 2016 with a target opening date in early 2017.
Read the Reports
- Firewise Consulting – East Courtenay Fire Training Ground Fire Hall Project [PDF - 1.3 MB]
- Fire Underwriters Survey – City of Courtenay Fire Insurance Grade Update Report [PDF - 3.6 MB]
Note: Blacked out text on the Fire Underwriters Survey is protecting proprietary information belonging to Optra Information Intelligence
- Report Highlights
- Fire Training Grounds - Update on Site Works, September 11, 2014 [PDF - 89 KB]
- 2014 - 2018 Financial Plan Amendment - East Courtenay Fire Hall / Training Grounds, June 9, 2014 [PDF - 985 KB]
- East Courtenay Fire Hall Staff Report, May 20, 2014 [PDF - 182 KB]
- Presentation to Council by Councillor Jon Ambler, May 20, 2014: