Official Community Plan
What is an Official Community Plan?
The Official Community Plan (OCP) is a tool for Council and citizens to manage change in our community.
The OCP sets out land use categories and approximate locations and densities of land uses. It includes a Development Permit section which helps strengthen the design, landscaping and environmental requirements for new development. The OCP applies to the entire municipality and is the principal policy document that Council uses to make decisions on matters such as:
- Land use
- Growth management
- Design of the built environment
- Protection of the environment
- Climate change
- Transportation and mobility
- Economic development
- Housing needs
Local Area Plans Contained in the Official Community Plan
- Mission Road [PDF - 26 KB]
- South Lerwick [PDF - 23 KB]
- Sandwick/Headquarters Local Area Plan [PDF - 3.8 MB]
- Old Orchard Local Area Plan [PDF - 1.9 MB]
- South Courtenay Local Area Plan [PDF - 3.3 MB]
- Arden Corridor Local Area Plan [PDF - 4.3 MB]
Maps contained within the Official Community Plan
- Land Use Plan [PDF - 3.2 MB]
- Road Network Plan [PDF - 1.2 MB]
- Storm Drainage [PDF - 1.9 MB]
- Development Permit Areas [PDF - 775 KB]
- Duplex Development Permit Areas [PDF - 778 KB]
- Environmental Development Permit Areas [PDF - 2.2 MB]
How to make an Application to Amend the Official Community Plan
An OCP amendment is required when a proposed land use is not consistent with the land use designations of the OCP.
As a requirement of the Development Application Procedures Bylaw, applicants are required to erect a Public Notice Sign on the property and are also required to conduct a Neighbourhood Public Information Meeting before the application proceeds to council for consideration.
- Read the OCP Amendment Application Guidelines [PDF - 132 KB]
- Development Application Procedures Bylaw [PDF - 189 KB]
- Public Notice Sign [PDF - 75 KB]
- Neighbourhood Public Information Meeting [PDF - 148 KB]
- Affordable Housing Policy
- Sustainability Evaluation Checklist [PDF - 74 KB]
Prior to submitting any application, you are advised to discuss the proposal including specific application requirements for your project and required fees with Planning Division staff.