EVACUATION ALERT CONTINUES
December 11, 2014
COURTENAY RIVER – PUNTLEDGE RIVER - TSOLUM RIVER
UPDATE Thursday, December 11, 6:00 am: The Evacuation Alert issued on Wednesday, December 10 remains in place.
Issued : December 10, 2014 4:00 p.m.
An Evacuation Alert has been issued by the City of Courtenay at the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC). BC Hydro advises that water flows may reach over bank flood levels in the Puntledge River/Tsolum River and Courtenay River in the near future. Because of the potential danger to life and health, the City of Courtenay has issued an Evacuation Alert for the following areas:
All areas adjacent to the Tsolum River, Puntledge River and Courtenay River within the boundaries of the City of Courtenay (see red outlined area on the map below)
An Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN ALERT IS IN EFFECT
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the evacuation order by:
- Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a Meeting Place outside the evacuation area should an evacuation be called while separated;
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependants and, if you choose, keepsakes, photographs, etc. Have these items readily available for quick departure;
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children;
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area;
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order.
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.
- Monitoring local radio stations for information and updates
Monitor www.courtenay.ca for updates along with social media:
For more information call 250.334.4441
Click here for a larger view of the Evacuation Alert map below: Courtenay Evacuation Alert.pdf [PDF - 600 KB]