Holiday Recycling Tips
December 1, 2016
During the holidays, your household might have more packaging and printed paper than usual. But can you recycle all of it? Check out Multi Material BC's online Holiday Recycling Guide to learn what holiday items can be recycled with your packaging and printed paper.
A few pointers:
- Styrofoam and plastic bags and overwrap can be recycled at Multi-Material BC depots. (Please keep these items out of your curbside blue bin). In the Comox Valley, these depots are:
- Courtenay Return It Depot, 493 Puntledge Road, Courtenay
- Comox Valley Waste Management Centre, 2400 Pidgeon Lake Road, Cumberland
- Paper gift wrap can be recycled curbside, but foil gift wrap is not recyclable
- Other typical holiday recyclables: Milk/eggnog cartons, paper cups, gift bags, cookie tins, plastic trays and tops, greeting cards, and shipping boxes are all accepted curbside
- Ribbons & bows and padded envelopes are not recyclable
- For items such as Christmas lights, other electronics, and batteries, use the Recycling Council of BC's handy online Recyclepedia tool. Just tell it what you're recycling, and what community you live in, and they'll tell you if it's recyclable and what to do with it.
Thanks for keeping recyclables out of the landfill, and unacceptable materials out of your blue bin!