Building Inspector 3
Competition Number: 18006
Job Title: Building Inspector 3
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: $37.68 to start, $ $39.68 after 3 months, $41.98 after 6 months
Posted Date: February 1, 2018, 12:00 am
Closing Date: February 25, 2018, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: March 21, 2018, 3:20 pm
The City of Courtenay has a career opportunity in the Development Services Department. We invite applications for the position of "Building Inspector 3”. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the Director of Development Services, this position is responsible for reviewing building and plumbing permit applications, and issuing permits; inspecting and approving plans and drawings pertaining to the development, construction and renovation of major projects; conducting on-site inspections of properties, new construction and renovations; reviewing zoning, business license and sign permit applications, inspecting business premises, and issuing licenses and permits; providing information and technical advice to the public and other City departments; and preparing reports and other documentation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Relevant post-secondary education.
- Current BC Building Inspectors Level 3 Certificate
- Current BC Plumbing Inspector Level 1 Certificate
- Eligible for Building Officials Association of BC membership
- Eligible for Plumbing Inspectors Assoc. of BC membership
- Considerable (5-7 years) building and plumbing inspection experience for a local government
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Thorough knowledge of current BC building and plumbing codes, local government statutes, regulations and bylaws, and building construction methods, materials, soils, plumbing systems and sign construction
- Considerable knowledge of structural, civil, geotechnical, mechanical and electrical engineering pursuant to the BC Building Code
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to check and interpret complex plans and specifications, compare with construction in progress, suggest and enforce changes or corrections required with firmness, impartiality and sound judgment
- Physical ability to undertake frequent site inspections including crawling through attics and crawlspaces, climbing ladders and work in inclement weather
- Sound work ethics
- Current Criminal Records Clearance
This is a regular full-time position available now. The 2018 hourly wage rates based on a 35-hour workweek are: Start $37.68; After 3 mos $39.68; After 6 mos $41.98
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter clearly marked "Application – Building Inspector 3” no later than February 25, 2018.
To submit your application, click on the "Apply" button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.