Director of Development Services
Competition Number: 21050
Job Title: Director of Development Services
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Full-Time; Union Exempt
Posted Date: September 9, 2021, 12:00 am
Closing Date: October 31, 2021, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: October 4, 2021, 9:07 am
Status: We are reviewing applications but this posting will remain OPEN until filled
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 25,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 65,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. The Development Services Department is one of seven departments reporting to the CAO. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The Development Services Department is responsible for overseeing the land development processes with the City of Courtenay. The department is comprised of the following three divisions:
- The Development Planning Division is responsible for the implementation of the Official Community Plan, local area plans, zoning and other related bylaws and studies;; the processing of development applications, boundary extensions, sign permits, tree cutting permits and agricultural land reserve applications; and development of the zoning bylaw.
- The Building and Administrative Services Division is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of provincial building and plumbing codes and municipal bylaws relating to building construction. This division is also responsible for business licensing and administrative support for the Development Services Department
- The Subdivision and Development Servicing Division is responsible for administration of provincial legislation and municipal bylaws related to subdivision, including the Approving Officer function, and for the administration of municipal bylaws related to servicing new development.
- The Community and Sustainability Planning Division is responsible for the development and administration of plans and policies that guide the future growth and development of the community. These include the Official Community Plan, local area plans and the co-ordination of the planning, development, implementation and monitoring of the climate action strategy, sustainability projects and initiatives both at a corporate and community level.
Reporting to the CAO, the Director of Development Services provides long-range vision, leadership and guidance on land use and development activities, sustainability, environmental and climate action initiatives with the City, and is responsible for directing and managing the overall operations of the Development Services Department and serves as a key member of the executive management team for the organization.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Degree in Land Use Planning from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program is preferred or an equivalent post-secondary degree and work experience
- Membership in good standing with the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC
- Substantial (11-13 years) experience in the community planning field, with considerable related experience at a management level in a local government setting
- Extensive knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of community and parks planning, development theory and practices in relation to urban design, real estate practices, and the general economy of land development.
- Sound knowledge of budget preparation and control
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, problem solving, decision making, leadership and general management skills
- Ability to effectively lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team setting
- Ability to deal effectively with representatives of government, business and development, the general public, City staff and Council members
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Criminal Records Check
This full-time position is available soon.
We offer the opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan including the City’s Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Enrolment in the Municipal Pension Plan
- Annual vacation, cumulative sick plan and other paid leaves
- Professional development & training opportunities
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Director of Development Services”. Submit your application online at www.courtenay.ca/jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.