Competition Number: 18011
Job Title: Gardener 1
Department: Public Works Services - Parks Maintenance Division
Employment Type: Regular (INTERNAL POSTING - OPEN TO EMPLOYEES ONLY)
Posted Date: February 22, 2018, 12:00 am
Closing Date: March 1, 2018, 4:00 pm
Last Modified: March 5, 2018, 1:08 pm
Employees Only Competition - You must be a CURRENT City of Courtenay Employee to apply for this position
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the "Gardener 1" position in the Parks Maintenance Division. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Working as part of a cooperative team effort, the incumbent’s primary duties and responsibilities include constructing, installing and maintaining landscapes, gardens, turf areas, boulevards, walkways, trees and shrubs, etc. The Gardener 1 position also provides input in the planning and design of parks and facility landscapes, shrub and floral displays, boulevards, walkways and trails; picks up garbage and litter in public areas; performs snow and ice removal from sidewalks, stairways, walkways; and operates light trucks and equipment.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Completion of an accredited course in Horticulture (level 1) • Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License • current Pesticide Applicators Certificate
- Some (1-2 years) experience in the construction and maintenance of landscaped areas such as parks facilities, boulevards, walkways, shrub beds, gardens and trees, etc.; safe operation of equipment such as self-propelled mowers, tractors, loaders, etc.
- Some experience in horticulture practices and construction/handyman work
- Sound knowledge of construction and maintenance methods and techniques relevant to landscaping, horticulture, and tree management
- Some knowledge of local plant materials, including their identification, care, maintenance, and appropriate applications
- Some knowledge of integrated pest management and the application of pesticides
- Some knowledge in the principles of landscape design and planning
- Some knowledge in the installation, repair, and operation of irrigation systems
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to oversee the work of others
- Ability to read blue prints, landscape plans and schematics
- Physical ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, and stand and walk throughout the day; frequently climb ladders and work in inclement weather
This is a regular full-time position available immediately. The current hourly wage rate is $30.89 based on a 40-hour workweek.
Interested persons with the above qualifications should submit a resume outlining how they meet the qualifications, along with a covering letter clearly marked "Application – Gardener 1” no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 1, 2018.
To submit your application, click on the "Apply" button below.
No additional documents available for this post.