A Business Licence is required if you plan to carry out business within the City of Courtenay.
- Business Licence Bylaw 2523 [PDF - 1.3 MB]
- Business Licence Frequently Asked Questions
- Business Licence Application
If your business operates in more than one jurisdiction and the business you conduct performs a service in more than one community by moving from client to client rather than having a client come to a fixed place of business , including, but not limited to the following:
- General Contractors
- Trades (Plumbers, Electricians, etc.)
- Cleaning Services
- Pest Control
Inter Municipal Business Licence
This licence includes both the Town of Comox and the City of Courtenay and the yearly fee is $150.00.
Inter Community Business Licence
This licence includes the following participating municipalities and the yearly fee is $250.00:
|City of Campbell River||250-286-5700|
|Town of Comox||250-339-2202|
|Village of Cumberland||250-336-2291|
|City of Duncan||250-746-6126|
|Town of Lake Cowichan||250-749-6681|
|Town of Ladysmith||250-245-6400|
|City of Nanaimo||250-754-4251|
|Municipality of North Cowichan||250-746-3100|
|City of Parksville||250-248-6144|
|City of Port Alberni||250-723-2146|
|Town of Qualicum Beach||250-752-6921|
New! Mobile Food Vending Licence
Applications from food truck and food cart vendors wishing to operate on private property or a select number of public sites are now being accepted.
General Regulations and Application Information
Businesses operating in the City of Courtenay are regulated by the following bylaws and permit requirements:
- The Business Licence Bylaw sets the fees and specific regulations for business types permitted to operate in the City of Courtenay
- The Zoning Bylaw regulates the permitted uses on properties within the City of Courtenay.
- Commercial tenant alterations/improvements (for building and plumbing are regulated by the Building Bylaw and British Columbia Building Code regulations
- The Sign Bylaw regulates the number, size, type, form, appearance and location of signs permitted in the City of Courtenay
Submit your Business Licence Application and payment to the City of Courtenay Building Department. Please note that the City only accepts cash, cheque or debit as forms of payment.
Business Licence Renewal
Renewal notices are mailed out in mid-December of each year to all businesses that possess a current City of Courtenay business licence. Business licence fees are due by the end of February of each year. If a licence is not obtained by the renewal due date, a late payment fee calculated at 25% of the annual licence fee will be charged.
If any changes to the business licence are required, changes must be submitted in writing to the City of Courtenay and a $20.00 fee will be charged.