Information for Candidates
Province of British Columbia - Local Elections 2014
Includes information for candidates and voters
The Chief Elections Officer will receive nominations for qualified candidates at Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, B.C. during the following dates and times:
- 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Tuesday, September 30, 2014;
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Wednesday to Friday, from October 1, 2014 to October 3, 2014;
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Monday to Thursday, from October 6, 2014 to October 9, 2014;
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - Friday, October 10, 2014.
Nomination packages will be available beginning on September 1, 2014. Nomination documents will be available at Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, B.C. from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays.
NOMINATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER 4:00 P.M. FRIDAY, OCTOBER 10, 2014.
Qualifications for Office
A person is qualified to be nominated, elected, and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:
- Canadian Citizen;
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
- resident of British Columbia for at least 6 months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed; and
- not disqualified by the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election in British Columbia or from being nominated for, being elected to or holding office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Further information on the foregoing may be obtained by contacting the Chief Elections Officer or the Deputy Chief Elections Officer at 250-334-4441.