The City of Courtenay regulates the number, size, type, form, appearance and location of signs, with a sign bylaw tailored to various zones in the community.
The sign bylaw enables businesses and community organizations to clearly identify themselves and their products or services. Ideally, signs should enhance the appearance and visual character of the community.
The sign bylaw also considers the safety of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. Signs must be properly located, minimize distraction, and avoid interfering with traffic control devices.
- General Regulations [PDF - 137 KB]
- Signs that do not require a permit [PDF - 381 KB] (must conform to all other provisions of the bylaw)
- Prohibited Signs [PDF - 418 KB]
Signs That Require a Permit Listed by Location:
Not sure of the zoning of your property? Use the Interactive Zoning Map
- Downtown (C-1 Zone) [PDF - 524 KB]
- Old Orchard (C-5 Zone) [PDF - 295 KB]
- General Commercial and Industrial Areas [PDF - 367 KB] (C-1A, C-2, C-2A, C-3, C-4, MU-1, MU-2, MU-3, MU-4, MU-5, I-1, I-2, CD-8, CD-1F Zone)
- Institutional [PDF - 157 KB] (PA-1, PA-2, PA-3, PA-4 Zone)
How to make a Sign Permit Application
Please note: Incomplete Applications will be returned to the applicant. Payment is required at the time of application and can be made in the form of cash, cheque or debit (we are unable to take credit card payments).
Sign Permit Fees
- Awning/Canopy/Fascia/Projecting Signs $45.00
- Freestanding Signs over 2.5 m in height - $100.00
- Freestanding Signs under 2.5 m in height - $45.00
- Portable Signs - $10.00
Community Event Signs
Please forward your Community Event Sign applications and inquiries to the Public Works Department
1000 Piercy Avenue, 250-338-1525, Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community event sign are signs advertising a community event which is carried on by a not-for-profit organization for the betterment of the community.
Community event signs located on public property require written permission from the City prior to installation and must meet the requirements contained within the application guide below.
- Community Event Signs Located on Public Property Guide and Application Form [PDF - 595 KB]
- Community Event Sign Locations [PDF - 486 KB]
Community event signs on private property do not require a sign permit or approval from the City provided the sign is installed no earlier than 30 days before the date of the community event and is removed no later than 7 days after the event is held. Community event signs which are fascia, freestanding, banner or portable signs shall not exceed 3.0 m2 (32.3 sq. ft.) in area or 2.0 m (6.56 ft.) in height. Projected image signs and inflatable devices may be permitted at the discretion of the Director of Development Services.