Community Safety

The City of Courtenay and the Comox Valley RCMP prioritize efforts that support a safe, healthy and accessible community for all residents and visitors.

Working collaboratively on areas of mutual concern, the City and RCMP prioritize health-based solutions for complex social issues, while keeping our community members safe.

While specific responsibilities are guided by legislation and limited to available resources, we continue to advocate for additional support and resources from all levels of government to provide much needed investments in mental health and addictions services and housing designed to address the needs in our community.

Where to report concerns:


For a crime in progress or immediate police assistance, call 9-1-1

To report crimes that have occured, suspicious, or illegal activity please call the Comox Valley RCMP at 250-338-1321, or report it online

Comox Valley RCMP

The RCMP deals with criminal activity and disorderly behaviour, including:

  • Trespass on private property
  • Drugs - using and dealing
  • Speeding/vehicle noise
  • Panhandling on boulevards
  • After-hours noise (after 4:30 p.m. weekdays, all day on weekends.)
  • Criminal activity
  • Encampments on private property


To report City-related issues: 

NEW: Bylaw Complaint Form
The City of Courtenay will not respond to anonymous complaints.

Bylaw Enforcement webpage 
250-334-4441 ext. 5 or 

  • Illegal dumping
  • Noise 8 a.m. to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday
  • Parking
  • Graffiti
  • Overgrown vegetation
  • Illegal parking

Neighbourhood concerns:

  • Animal control
  • Unsightly properties
  • Derelict vehicles
  • Wood burning smoke
  • Water compliance
  • Unlawful tree cutting
  • Unlawful fence heights
  • Nuisances – ongoing disturbances to a neighbourhood or area
  • Encampments on public property

How to make a complaint:

  • In writing: 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay, BC V9N 2J7
  • By telephone: 250-334-4441 (ext. 5)
  • By email



Encampments on public property:

Bylaw Enforcement
250-334-4441 ext. 5


Encampments on private property:

Comox Valley RCMP


Discarded needles on public property:

For needles discarded in public spaces, please call the City’s Public Works Services during office hours at 250-338-1525 or email  Please provide detailed location information to help crews quickly and safely find it. For your safety, do not touch or pick up the needle.


Things you can do:


Report Criminal Activity:

If you witness criminal behaviour call 9-1-1 if a crime is underway.

To report crimes that have occurred (i.e., stolen property) report it online, or call 250-338-1321 to report suspicious or illegal activity.

Register Your Bike: Bicycle registration for the life of your bike | 529 Garage (


Community Partners:

Comox Valley Coalition to End Homelessness

Comox Valley Transition Society