Adapted & Inclusive Programming Supervisor
Competition Number: 23014
Job Title: Adapted & Inclusive Programming Supervisor
Department: Recreation, Culture & Community Services
Employment Type: Full-Time Union
Salary: The current hourly wage rate is $36.36 based on a 35-hour work week.
Posted Date: February 1, 2023, 12:00 am
Closing Date: February 20, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: March 29, 2023, 9:37 am
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 28,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 72,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The City Manager (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. Seven departments report to the City Manager including Corporate Services, Development Services, Engineering Services, Financial Services, Public Works Services, Recreation, Culture & Community Services and the Fire Department.
The Corporate Services Department is responsible for the management and administration of civic elections, the business of City Council and its committees, business license and bylaw enforcement, civic cemetery, and the City’s centralized communications, legal matters, and records management system including the protection of and access to City records under the FOIPPA. The department is also responsible for directing information technology systems and practices, and is the liaison to the Comox Valley RCMP Detachment regarding community policing services.
The Recreation, Cultural and Community Services Department is responsible for providing quality recreation, leisure and cultural opportunities in a healthy and safe environment. The Department is comprised of the Recreation Facility Operations Division, the Recreation Programming Division, and is the liaison with the City’s cultural facilities and associated organizations. The Recreation and Cultural Services Department is also responsible for the planning required for parks and recreation needs.
The Recreation Programming Division is responsible for the provision of programs, and leisure opportunities for all age groups. The Division promotes healthy lifestyles and works with individuals and community groups in the provision of recreation services.
Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The Adapted & Inclusive Programming Supervisor will assist in identifying community recreation needs and developing services for individuals with disabilities within the Comox Valley; facilitates the planning, development and implementation of recreation programs and inclusion opportunities, activities and special events for individuals with disabilities; will establish and maintain effective working relationships and partnerships with community groups and other recreation departments; will provide a safe and supportive environment. The Adapted & Inclusive Programming Supervisor will provide resources, education and referrals on services, accessibility and other issues relating to those with disabilities; supervises programs instructors, volunteers, summer inclusion coordinator and summer inclusions workers; assists in the preparation and maintenance of budgets and pursues grant opportunities.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Diploma or Degree in Recreation, Special Education, Therapeutic Recreation or a related discipline from a recognized educational institution or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Valid Class 4 Driver’s License
- Current Criminal Record Clearance
- Current First Aid Emergency Level-Industry and CPR Level A & C
- Food Safe Certificate
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in working with individuals who have disabilities; must have
- excellent working knowledge of community resources.
- Supervisory experience
- Thorough knowledge of recreation and community service needs, along with philosophies, principles and practices of community recreation program development, implementation and delivery.
- Thorough knowledge of Adaptive & Inclusive strategies for individuals with special needs
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, time-management, conflict resolution,
- leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Good computer skills, experience with ActiveNet or similar recreation software programs.
- Thorough knowledge of recreation marketing strategies and techniques.
- Ability to recruit, train, plan, assign and direct the work of personnel; lead, coach and motivate program instructors and volunteers in a team environment
- Ability to deal effectively with partners such as community and user groups and the general public.
- Leadership skills and ability to provide and promote positive values and recreational social benefits.
- Physical ability to lift heavy objects such as tables and equipment.
The current hourly wage rate is $36.36 based on a 35-hour work week.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Adapted & Inclusive Programming Supervisor”.
Submit your application through the “Apply” button below no later than February 20, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.