Assistant Manager of Arts & Leisure
Competition Number: 23003
Job Title: Assistant Manager of Arts & Leisure
Department: Recreation, Culture & Community Services
Employment Type: Temporary Union-Exempt Position
Posted Date: January 9, 2023, 12:00 am
Closing Date: January 30, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: March 14, 2023, 1:57 pm
Status: Interviews are being initiated
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 28,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 72,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The City Manager (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. Seven departments report to the City Manager including Corporate Services, Development Services, Engineering Services, Financial Services, Public Works Services, Recreation, Culture & Community Services and the Fire Department.
The Recreation, Cultural and Community Services Department is responsible for providing quality recreation, leisure and cultural opportunities in a healthy and safe environment. The Department is comprised of the Recreation Facility Operations Division, the Recreation Programming Division, and is the liaison with the City’s cultural facilities and associated organizations. The Recreation and Cultural Services Department is also responsible for the planning required for parks and recreation needs.
The Recreation Programming Division is responsible for the provision of programs, and leisure opportunities for all age groups. The Division promotes healthy lifestyles and works with individuals and community groups in the provision of recreation services.
Our organization's culture is demonstrated by ourCorporate Mission and Core Values.
The successful candidate will participate in the planning, development and implementation of arts and leisure recreation programming services. Develops and implements marketing and promotional strategies, including the Recreation Guide. Managers staff, program instructors and volunteers.
This is a temporary role for approximately fourteen months or until the return of the incumbent.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Degree or Diploma in Recreation or related discipline from a recognized educational institution.
- Criminal Records Clearance
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Current First Aid Emergency Level - Industry and CPR Level A & C, or willingness to obtain upon hiring
- Considerable (5 - 7 years) experience in the development, implementation and administration of community recreation programs.
- Considerable experience in supervising employees.
- Thorough knowledge of recreation and community service needs and management techniques relating to recreation and wellness.
- Thorough knowledge of philosophies, principles, and practices of community recreation program development, implementation and delivery.
- Thorough knowledge in recreation marketing strategies and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge and background in budget preparation and control.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, public relations, negotiations, problem solving, decision making, organizational, time management, leadership and general management skills.
- Good office computer skills.
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of personnel and lead, coach and motivate staff and volunteers in a team environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with representatives of government agencies, community and user groups, general public, and City staff.
- Some knowledge of facility operations
- Thorough knowledge of Active Network recreation software and program input.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Assistant Manager of Arts & Leisure - Temporary”. Submit your application through the “Apply” button below no later than January 30, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.