Competition Number: 23021
Job Title: Custodian
Department: Recreation, Culture & Community Services
Employment Type: Full-Time Union
Salary: $28.86 per hour
Posted Date: February 16, 2023, 12:00 am
Closing Date: March 5, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: March 14, 2023, 1:59 pm
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the full-time position of Custodian in the Recreation, Cultural and Community Services Department. This is a union position and is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The Custodian carries out janitorial duties in recreation and other assigned facilities while providing customer service to user groups and the general public; assists in minor repairs to facilities and equipment; monitors and inspects premises to ensure facility security and completes necessary maintenance records.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 education
- Building Service Worker 1 Certificate
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Current Criminal Record Clearance
- Hazardous materials information system training
- Current First Aid Emergency Level - Industry and CPR Level C
- Sound (1 year) experience in custodial work and building maintenance, and the safe operation of related equipment and hand tools
- Some knowledge of cleaning procedures for public buildings; cleaning products and chemical hazards and handling; public building fire, health and safety regulations
- Good interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to understand and carry out job-related instructions
- Physical ability to frequently lift heavy objects such as tables and other equipment, work in awkward positions, and climb ladders; continuously stand and walk throughout the day; occasionally work in inclement weather
- Sound work ethic
Additional requirements after hiring:
- Safety training
This is a full-time position. Hours of work could vary based on operational needs and include days, evenings and weekends between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 a.m. (24 hours). The schedule is subject to change. The current wage rate is $28.86 per hour based on a 40-hour work week.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most liveable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Custodian”. To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below no later than March 5, 2023.
No additional documents available for this post.