Deputy Corporate Officer
Competition Number: 23085
Job Title: Deputy Corporate Officer
Department: Corporate Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full-Time Position
Salary: Range of $76,296 to $78,897
Posted Date: November 20, 2023, 11:01 am
Closing Date: December 10, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: January 24, 2024, 9:04 am
Demonstrating exemplary communication and interpersonal skills, the Deputy Corporate Officer is responsible for assisting the department in meeting the legislative requirements set out in the Community Charter, Local Government Act and other relevant statutes. The Deputy Corporate Officer (DCO) performs a variety of professional administrative and corporate duties while maintaining a high degree of confidentiality. Fulfils the statutory responsibility of Deputy Corporate Officer and Deputy Chief Election Officer and assumes the duties of the Corporate Officer in the absence of the incumbent. Attends Council meetings and works closely with Council and Senior Leadership on Council agendas and related tasks.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Undergraduate degree. Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or Political Science preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Board of Examiners Certificate in Local Government Service Delivery or higher preferred
- Membership in the BC Local Government Management Association
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Criminal Records clearance
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive experience in a local government setting
- The following experience is preferred:
- Experience working with Council/Board and Legislative/Corporate services
- Experience responding to FOI requests and interpreting the FOI Act
- Experience managing local government records
- Thorough knowledge of the role and function of local government, the Local Government Act, Community Charter, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and other legislation which applies to this position
- Proficient with MS Office Programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Proficient with Adobe Acrobat.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships. Skill in dealing openly, tactfully and sensitively in a variety of situations and respond effectively to emotional triggers in self and others. Influences by appreciating what’s meaningful to others, and can build trust and common understanding. Employs a high degree self-awareness, social awareness and skill in interactions with others.
- Understands the organizational culture and the processes/mechanisms necessary to attain work objectives
- Superior communication (oral & written), organizational, time-management, research, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. Ability to effectively manage priorities and meet statutory and Council deadlines.
- Excellent comprehension and attention to detail. Ability to read and interpret legislation and legal opinions, carry out research, accurately prepare complex reports, correspondence and other written material.
- Good judgment; ability to apply tact and diplomacy in working effectively with elected officials, staff, media and the public
- Comfortable with technology, including learning and troubleshooting software, and understanding and troubleshooting audiovisual setups
- Willing to learn, curious and open-minded. The ideal person will want to understand why we do something the way we do it, be able to apply their knowledge to new situations, and be comfortable considering other points of view.
- Knowledge of Council procedure and Robert’s Rules of Order
- Knowledge and experience with records management practices and procedures, e.g. BC Local Government Management Association (LGMA) records management system
- Knowledge and experience interpreting and applying the FOI Act, e.g. responding to FOI requests
- Knowledge of City bylaws and bylaw processes
- Knowledge of public relations and/or organizational communication strategies
- Knowledge of budget preparation and control
- Experience with eSCRIBE or other agenda management software
- Interest in ongoing professional development and other learning opportunities
This is a temporary, approximately 12-month, full-time position with a possible extension based on return of incumbent.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Deputy Corporate Officer”. Submit your application through the “Apply” button below
No additional documents available for this post.