Competition Number: 23015
Job Title: Development Engineer
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Full-Time Union Exempt
Salary: The salary for this full-time exempt position is supplemented by a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Posted Date: January 25, 2023, 12:00 am
Closing Date: March 13, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: March 14, 2023, 1:58 pm
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 28,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 72,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The City Manager (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. Seven departments report to the City Manager including Corporate Services, Development Services, Engineering Services, Financial Services, Public Works Services, Recreation, Culture & Community Services and the Fire Department.
The Development Services Department is responsible for overseeing land and development processes within the City of Courtenay. The department is comprised of the following four divisions:
- The Development Planning Division is responsible for the implementation of the Official Community Plan, local area plans, zoning and other related bylaws and studies; the processing of development applications, boundary extensions, sign permits, tree cutting permits and agricultural land reserve applications; and development of the zoning bylaw.
- The Building Services Division is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of provincial building and plumbing codes and municipal bylaws relating to building construction. This division is also responsible for business licensing and administrative support for the Development Services Department.
- The Subdivision and Development Servicing Division is responsible for administration of provincial legislation and municipal bylaws related to subdivision, including the Approving Officer function, and for the administration of municipal bylaws related to servicing new development.
- The Community and Sustainability Planning Division is responsible for the development and administration of plans and policies that guide the future growth and development of the community. These include the Official Community Plan, local area plans and the co-ordination of the planning, development, implementation and monitoring of the climate action strategy, sustainability projects and initiatives both at a corporate and community level.
Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The Development Engineer is responsible for design approval of engineering works and services, supporting development applications, subdivisions, building permits and other applications. The Development also oversees the subdivision application process and fulfills the statutory duties of the Approving Officer.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- The Development Engineer is responsible for design approval and engineering works and services, supporting development applications, subdivisions, building permits and other applications. The Development Engineer oversees the subdivision application process and fulfills the statutory duties of the Approving Officer. Degree in civil engineering from a recognized educational institution
- Professional Engineer designation PEng
- Member in good standing with APEGBC
- Valid BC Class 5 driver's license
- Criminal Records Check
- Considerable (5 - 7 years) post P. Eng. experience in the fields of land development and municipal engineering, some of which should be in a local government environment.
- Considerable knowledge of current civil engineering principles and practices as applied to planning, design, construction and maintenance of municipal infrastructure
- Considerable knowledge of the Local Government Act, Land Titles Act, Community Charter and other legislation as it relates to subdivision of land in a municipal setting
- Considerable knowledge and background in project and contract management
- Considerable knowledge and background in capital and operational budget preparation and control
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, negotiation, problem solving, decision making, and general management skills
- Strong computer skills relating to Microsoft Office Suite software
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of government, business, consultants, developers, the general public, City staff and Council members
- Completion of LGMA/MATI Approving Officer training course
As we are nearing the selection of our new Director of Development Services, this is an exciting time to join us as we grow a great and dynamic team. For more information on the Development Services team, please contact Acting Director of Development Service Rob Roycroft at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Development Engineer”. Submit your application through the “Apply” button below no later than February 20, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.