Director of Recreation, Culture and Community Services
Competition Number: 21072
Job Title: Director of Recreation, Culture and Community Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full-time (up to 13 months)
Posted Date: November 9, 2021, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 12, 2021, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: January 14, 2022, 2:06 pm
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 25,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 65,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. The Recreation, Culture & Community Services Department is one of seven departments reporting to the CAO. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by ourCorporate Mission and Core Values.
The Recreation, Cultural & Community Services Department is responsible for providing quality recreation, leisure and cultural opportunities in a healthy and safe environment. The Department is comprised of the Recreation Facility Operations Division, the Recreation Programming Division and the Recreation and Cultural Business Administrative Services Division. It is the liaison with the City’s cultural facilities and associated organizations including the Courtenay Recreation Association (CRA) and the Evergreen Club. The Recreation, Cultural and Community Services Department is also responsible for the planning required for recreation, parks, and culture needs.
A temporary one-year opportunity, reporting to the CAO, the Director of Recreation, Culture & Community Services provides long-range vision, leadership and guidance on the provision of recreation, leisure, parks, events, community, and cultural services to the community; Develops and oversees the implementation of departmental policies, strategic plans, programs, bylaws and associated processes; Directs the development and management of recreational and cultural opportunities, programs, and facilities to promote active, inclusive, and healthy lifestyles in the community; Liaises with committees, advisory boards, and organizations on community service issues, opportunities, and projects; Serves as a key member of the senior management team for the organization and is lead for the City’s Parks and Recreation Master Plan.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Degree in Recreation Administration or other related discipline from a recognized educational institution, or combination of education and experience
- Substantial (11-13 years) experience in parks and recreation management, with considerable related experience at a management level in a local government setting
- Extensive knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of community recreation, cultural and community service delivery
- Thorough knowledge and background in contract management
- Thorough knowledge in marketing and public relations strategies and techniques
- Thorough knowledge and background in capital and operational budget preparation and control (long and short-term)
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, public relations, negotiation, problem solving, decision making, leadership and general management skills
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to effectively plan and manage a multi-function department
- Ability to effectively lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships with representatives of cultural and recreational groups, government, business, the general public, City staff and Council members
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Criminal Records Check
This temporary (approximately 13 months) position will ideally start February 1, 2022.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Director of Recreation, Culture and Community Services”. To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.