Competition Number: 22095
Job Title: Engineering Technologist
Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Full-Time Union
Salary: $38.76 per hour and a competitive benefit package
Posted Date: November 23, 2022, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 30, 2022, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: January 13, 2023, 8:24 am
Status: May initiate interviews prior to closing date
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of "Engineering Technologist” in the Engineering Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The successful candidate will provide project management services on multiple capital projects simultaneously and at various stages of the design process. This involves directing and supporting projects’ external service providers; tracking and monitoring project budgets; reviewing and critiquing the documentation related to the design, including drawings and reports; will also attend construction sites during the construction of project. The Technologist will also assist with public inquiries, which may involve reviewing existing City policies and investigating potential solution.
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology from a recognized educational institution, or equivalent academic training and experience.
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Eligible for membership in Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC with the designation of AScT.
- Criminal Records Check
- Considerable (3 - 5 years) in civil/municipal engineering field specifically related to project management and contract administration
- Sound experience in the use of MS Office, GIS, AutoCAD and related software, and survey instruments
- Some experience in Traffic/Transportation engineering is considered an asset
- Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, terminology, practices and techniques
- Considerable knowledge of legislated civil construction codes and regulations
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong office computer skills: MS Office, MS Project, AutoCAD
- Ability to deal with contractors and engineers in a professional and timely manner
- Ability to interpret and apply City and other bylaws, policies, procedures, engineering design standards and specifications
- Ability to work well as part of a team and independently
- Physical ability to stand and walk frequently throughout the day; occasionally attend and inspect construction sites including climbing in and out of ditches and trenches; ability to frequently work in inclement weather
The current hourly wage rate is $38.76; Hours of work are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday. Candidates with lesser experience may be considered at the Engineering Technician level, along with the applicable rate of pay.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most liveable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Engineering Technologist”. To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below no later than December 30, 2022.
This posting is ongoing until filled. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
No additional documents available for this post.