Manager of Development Planning
Competition Number: 21074
Job Title: Manager of Development Planning
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Full-time Union Exempt
Salary: Competitive Annual Salary/ Comprehensive Benefit Package
Posted Date: November 12, 2021, 4:15 pm
Closing Date: January 10, 2022, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: January 14, 2022, 2:05 pm
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 25,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 65,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. The Development Services Department is one of seven departments reporting to the CAO. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by ourCorporate Mission and Core Values.
The Manager of Development Planning is responsible for the review of various development application processes (OCP, zoning, permits, etc); the preparation of planning studies, reports, bylaws, etc. The incumbent also prepares and monitors budgets and manages a team of professional Planning staff.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- A degree in Urban Planning or related discipline.
- Membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Canadian Institute of Planners/Planning Institute of British Columbia.
- Considerable (7-9 years) experience in the community planning field with management experience and a focus on development approvals.
- Thorough knowledge of philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal planning, sustainability and design.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, negotiation, research, problem solving, analytical, and management skills.
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment in making planning decisions.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of personnel and lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment.
- Ability to deal effectively with representatives of government, business and development, the general public, City staff and Council members.
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
This full-time position is available soon.
We offer the opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan including the City’s Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Enrolment in the Municipal Pension Plan
- Annual vacation, cumulative sick plan and other paid leaves
- Professional development & training opportunities
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Manager of Development Planning”. To submit your application, click on the "Apply" button below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.