Manager of Finance
Competition Number: 23005
Job Title: Manager of Finance
Department: Financial Services
Employment Type: Full-Time Union Exempt
Salary: The salary for this full-time exempt position is commensurate with experience and is supplemented by a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Posted Date: January 10, 2023, 12:00 am
Closing Date: January 24, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: February 10, 2023, 8:37 am
The City of Courtenay is situated on the east coast of central Vancouver Island, within the traditional lands of the K'ómoks First Nation. Accessible by land, sea or air, Courtenay is a culturally diverse community that offers supernatural beauty at its doorstep. The City (approximate population 28,000) is the urban and cultural hub of the larger community, the Comox Valley (approximate population 72,000).
The City is governed by a Mayor and six Councillors. The City Manager (CAO) is responsible to Council for managing all City operations. Seven departments report to the City Manager including Corporate Services, Development Services, Engineering Services, Financial Services, Public Works Services, Recreation, Culture & Community Services and the Fire Department.
The Financial Services Department is responsible for directing financial and purchasing systems, which support the activities of other departments and the provision of financial information to the public. The Department consists of the Finance-Treasury, Purchasing and Financial Planning Services.
Finance is responsible for all of the financial activities undertaken by the City including receipt of all payments, keeping of all funds and securities, expending and disbursing money as authorized, keeping accurate records and full accounts of the financial affairs of the City, and compiling and supplying financial information to internal and external sources.
Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The Manager of Finance manages the finance and general accounting functions of the City. They will manage and direct the work of the finance accounting, clerical and reception staff. Work is performed under the general direction of the Director of Financial Services; however, incumbent exercises considerable independent action and judgment in daily work.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Undergraduate degree in Business Commerce or other related discipline
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Member in good standing with CPA professional association
- Considerable (5 to 7 years) experience in accounting practices (preferably in local government) with sound supervisory experience in a unionized workforce
- Thorough knowledge in accounting principles, standards, and practices including the preparation of financial statements and internal audit and control methods
- Thorough knowledge of government legislation and regulations relating to treasury and accounting functions
- Thorough knowledge of computerized financial systems
- Some knowledge of Freedom of Information and Privacy Act
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time management, analytical, problem solving, decision making, supervisory, and office computer skills
- Ability to effectively delegate tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of personnel and lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment
- Ability to deal courteously, tactfully and diplomatically with the public, and deal effectively with Council members, and City staff
- Certificate in Local Government Administration
- Knowledge of local government legislation and associated provincial and federal statutes
- Courses in Asset Management systems and best practices
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most livable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Manager of Finance”. Submit your application through the “Apply” button below no later than January 24, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.