Operations Maintenance Worker
Competition Number: 20019
Job Title: Operations Maintenance Worker
Department: Public Works Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full-time
Salary: $32.14 / hr + 12.4% in lieu of vacation, statutory holidays and benefits
Posted Date: February 28, 2020, 12:00 am
Closing Date: March 15, 2020, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: March 26, 2020, 1:41 pm
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to join our Public Works Department, the City of Courtenay invites you to apply for the Temporary "Operations Maintenance Worker" position. This position is subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The Operations Maintenance Worker (OMW) participates in the construction and/or installation, maintenance and repair of Transportation and Utilities related infrastructure. OMW’s shall be involved in the day to day operations by performing a variety of semi-skilled tasks such as; concrete and asphalt work, digging trenches, laying pipes, traffic control, picking up litter, etc. and operating light trucks and equipment. May wash, clean and carry out minor repairs and painting of equipment and/or system appurtenances.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalency
- Completion of Introduction to Public Works Operations - BCIT – PUBW 1001 or Current Operator-In-Training (OIT) certification through Environmental Operators Certification Program (EOCP)
- Valid BC Class 3 Drivers License with Air Endorsement
- Current Membership with the Public Works Association of British Columbia or current membership with BCWWA
- Sound (2-3 years) a minimum of 2 years’ experience within the last 5 years working directly in roads or utilities construction, maintenance and operations environment.
- Sound knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials and tools used in civil construction and or public works related municipal maintenance work.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to understand and carry out job related instructions
- Ability to safely operate light duty equipment and tools used in work performed relating to civil construction and municipal maintenance operations.
- Ability to continuously use hand tools, lift heavy objects, work in awkward positions, stand and walk throughout the day; occasionally work in confined spaces, and frequently work in inclement weather
Additional requirements after hiring:
- First Aid Emergency Level - Industry and CPR Level A Certification; Traffic Control training; WHMIS Certification; Confined spaces Training; and other job related safety training
This is a temporary full-time position. The employment term for this position may be up to four (4) months with an opportunity for extension up to two (2) additional months.
The 2020 hourly wage rate is $32.14 based on a 40-hour work week.
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter by clicking on the “Apply” button no later than March 15, 2020.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.