Competition Number: 19039
Job Title: Planner I
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted Date: July 29, 2019, 6:00 pm
Closing Date: August 18, 2019, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: September 28, 2019, 8:03 am
The City of Courtenay’s Development Services Department invites applications for the position of Planner 1. This is a regular full-time unionized position and is subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The Planner I performs a variety of professional planning duties such as reviewing minor land use and development applications to ensure compliance with appropriate regulations and legislation; preparing reports, permits and bylaws, responding to planning enquiries and assisting with policy development and coordinating public consultation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Degree from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program or a degree in land use planning or related field from a recognized educational institution with equivalent work experience.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Check
- Candidates with a degree from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program require 1 year related planning experience
- Candidates with a degree in land use planning or related field require 3 years of experience in local government planning with an emphasis on land use.
- Sound knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal planning
- Sound knowledge of planning legislation and applicable bylaws and subdivision control provisions and requirements
- Strong interpersonal, communication, research, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Strong office computer skills
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment in making planning recommendations
- Ability to work well as a team member and independently
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to deal effectively with the public, professional consultants, representatives of government, business and development, and City staff
This is a full-time position available immediately. The 2019 hourly wage rate is $38.20 based on a 35-hour work week.
The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter no later than August 18, 2019 by clicking on the "Apply" button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.