Youth Worker (Casual, On-Call)
Competition Number: 23095
Job Title: Youth Worker (Casual, On-Call)
Department: Recreation, Culture & Community Services
Employment Type: Casual; On-Call
Salary: $30.21/hr plus 12.4% in lieu
Posted Date: November 15, 2023, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 17, 2023, 11:30 pm
Last Modified: December 18, 2023, 9:45 am
The City of Courtenay invites applications for a casual, on-callposition of "Youth Worker” in the Recreation Programming Division of the Recreation, Cultural and Community Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The successful candidate will participate in the planning, development, and implementation of programs for youth to increase constructive participation in recreation and community activities; they will establish relationships with youth and a variety of youth services agencies in the community; they will provide guidance and referral to other community youth services as needed; they will tactfully enforce rules of conduct during youth activities and drop-in services at the LINC Youth Centre; and they will assist in the marketing and promotion of youth recreation services.
- Diploma in Recreation or Child and Youth Care, from a recognized educational institution, or equivalent education and experience
- Valid BC Class 4 Drivers License
- Current First Aid Emergency Level – Industry and CPR Level C
- Current Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector check
- Experience/ Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound (3 years) experience in the development and delivery of community recreational programs for youth and some experience in dealing with youth-at-risk
- Sound knowledge in the field of child and youth development, with experience in a community-based setting
- Sound knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of planned youth recreation programs and activities.
- Working knowledge of the youth service agencies and related resources in the community.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time-management, conflict resolution, and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership and recreational instruction.
- Ability to provide a general guidance and referral service to youth and maintain relationships with a variety of community youth service agencies and resources
- Good computer skills
- Leadership skills and abilities to provide and promote positive values and recreational/social benefits
- Ability to supervise and oversee youth participating in program activities
- Physical ability to frequently lift heavy objects such as tables and equipment
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AFTER HIRING
- Foodsafe Level 1 Course
- A.S.I.S.T. (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
The 2023 hourly wage rate is $30.21. Casual employees receive 12.4% in lieu of vacation entitlement, statutory holiday entitlement and benefits. Hours of work for this position typically include Tuesdays to Saturdays, afternoons and evenings between the hours of 11 am and 11 pm.
If you have the qualifications along with the passion to help Courtenay be the most liveable City in British Columbia, then submit a resume outlining how you meet the qualifications with a covering letter clearly marked “Application – Casual Youth Worker”. To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
No additional documents available for this post.