Alternative Approval Process

What is the Alternative Approval Process?

Some City initiatives, such as certain bylaws or borrowing, require permission from the electors (voters) before they can be adopted by Council.  There are two options to achieve that permission:

  1. Through an AAP
  2. Through Assent Voting (formerly known as a referendum)

The Alternative Approval Process (AAP) process allows you to indicate your opposition to a proposal, such as borrowing for a project.

Councils most commonly use an AAP to gauge public opinion. This is because AAP is less expensive for taxpayers than Assent Voting and can be used whenever the legislation requires the City to obtain permission from the electors. 

With an AAP, the City of Courtenay will provide notice about the proposed decision in the local newspaper. Electors will then have at least 30 days to complete and submit an Elector Response Form indicating their opposition to the proposal.

If less than 10 per cent of eligible electors register their opposition, Council may choose to proceed with the proposal. 

If 10 per cent or more of eligible electors oppose the proposal in the time period provided, the City of Courtenay would then need to obtain approval through assent voting (referendum) before the proposal could proceed.

Current AAPs

Prior AAPs:

Additional Information: