Public Works Services
The Public Works Services Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of water distribution, storm drainage, sanitary sewerage systems, lift stations, force mains, manholes, roads, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, traffic signals, street lighting, and the design, construction and maintenance of parks, green space, and related facilities, and maintenance of the civic cemetery. Public Works is also responsible for the City’s vehicle and equipment fleet management and maintenance.
If you spot an environmental concern or emergency, notify the appropriate responders as quickly as possible.
- Cloudy water problems? Try running your tap water for 15 minutes.
- Property owners are to maintain the grass boulevards adjacent to or in front of their residence, and the City will oversee boulevard tree maintenance.
- Please clear off the catch basins around your home to help prevent flooding.
- Street lights: Please report all street light outages in the City of Courtenay to Public Works, and please note whether the light is on a metal or wooden pole. (If it's on a metal pole, it's city maintained. If it's on a wooden pole, it's BC Hydro maintained.) The City will coordinate repairs. Report a street light outage online using the Service Request Form.
- Dangerous Trees -If the tree is on public property, the City of Courtenay will maintain it. If the tree is on private property, please review Courtenay's Tree Management and Protection regulations.