Water Main Flushing in East and West Courtenay
November 12, 2015
City of Courtenay Public Works will be flushing water mains starting Tuesday, November 17 and continuing for two weeks. Water main flushing will occur between 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays, in a number of areas in East and West Courtenay.
Trevor Kushner, the City of Courtenay’s manager of public works, said flushing is an important part of regular maintenance on the City’s water service, noting, “Flushing helps remove sediment, and ensures our water quality remains high.”
Flushing will begin in West Courtenay. Click the links below to view maps of each area.
- Arden Road from Lake Trail Road to 1st Street including 2200 – 2380 Embleton Crescent view map [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- Lake Trail Road from Willemar Avenue to 2107 Lake Trail Road and 10th Street from Willemar Avenue to Piercy Avenue view map [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- 5th Street from Menzies Avenue to Cliffe Avenue view map [PDF - 1.2 MB]
- Cumberland Road from McPhee Avenue to Fitzgerald Avenue and 8th Street from Fitzgerald Avenue to Cliffe Avenue, McPhee Avenue from Cumberland Road to 847 McPhee Avenue view map [PDF - 907 KB]
- 11th Street from McPhee Avenue to Cliffe Avenue view map [PDF - 1.2 MB]
- Tull Avenue from 2377 Tull Avenue to 17th Street view map [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- 26th Street from Piercy Avenue to Cliffe Avenue and Kilpatrick Avenue from 26th Street to 28th Street and Cliffe Avenue from 2760 – 2420 Cliffe Avenue view map [PDF - 1.3 MB]
- 355 Anfield Road and Cliffe Avenue from Anfield Road to 17th Street view map [PDF - 1.8 MB]
Once flushing in West Courtenay is complete, crews will begin working on water mains in East Courtenay.
- Ryan Road from Old Island Highway to Back Road and Back Road from Ryan Road to Valley View Drive view map [PDF - 1 MB]
- Dingwall Road from Northland Place to Island Highway North (Hwy 1-A) and Back Road from Island Highway North to Ryan Road and Centennial Drive from Back Road to McLauchlin Drive view map [PDF - 1 MB]
- Mission Road from Lerwick Road to Muir Road and Muir Road from 4605 – 2625 Muir Road, Walbran Place, Anna Place, Shetland Place view map [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- Ryan Road from Crown Isle Boulevard/Crown Isle Drive to NIC, Lerwick Road from Waters Place to Malahat Drive, Crown Isle Drive from Ryan Road to Malahat Drive view map [PDF - 1.3 MB]
Motorists are asked to slow down and use caution when approaching flushing crews. Commuters may experience traffic delays in the work zones, with single lane traffic and intermittent road closures between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on the days of flushing.
While flushing will occur over a large area during this time period, water to individual properties should only be affected for a short period of time, typically between 30 to 60 minutes. Residents may notice a slight drop in water pressure accompanied by some turbidity (discoloured water).
Residents are advised to check their water before doing laundry or dishwashing; or schedule these tasks between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. on weekdays or at anytime on the weekends, since work will not be performed on the water mains during these time periods. Properties with filtration systems should be aware of the potential for turbid water.
If you notice discolored water after the hours of operation, please run your cold water taps for a period of 20 minutes to clear up any sediment. If the water does not clear in 60 minutes or you require more information regarding this project, please call the City of Courtenay Public Works Department at 250-338-1525, Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. or the emergency after hours number at 250-334-2947.