Proof of vaccination requirements at Courtenay Recreation starting September 13
September 12, 2021
Updated October 13, 2021
Beginning Monday, September 13 at 5:30 a.m., by Order of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO), proof of one dose of COVID-19 vaccination will be required of some Courtenay Recreation customers participating in designated programs and services, with full vaccination required by October 24.
In August, the Government of British Columbia announced the launch of the BC Vaccine Card program that will be used for proof of vaccination. On Saturday, September 11, the Province of BC issued the formal PHO Order outlining proof of vaccination requirements for Gatherings and Events.
The requirement applies to all people born in 2009 or earlier (12+) and is required to access some events, services and businesses.
PROOF OF VACCINATION WILL BE REQUIRED to access the following recreation programs and services:
- All indoor Adult (over 22 years) sport, exercise, fitness, dance, or physical activity programs regardless of the intensity (i.e. yoga, HIIT, etc.).
- All drop-in physical activity programs and services; regardless of age such as: fitness, squash, and Wellness Centre, Evergreen activities such as carpet bowling, billiards, indoor pickleball and darts.
Proof of vaccination is NOT REQUIRED FOR:
- Children & Youth programs: defined as structured programs (educational, music, art, dance, sport, exercise, or social), supervised by an adult for persons under 22.
- Any non-physical activity
- registered or drop-in for adults, such as pottery
- all Adapted programs that are non-physical in nature, like Art Cards
Procedures and policies may change as dictated by the PHO Order. Changes to where proof of vaccination is required will be communicated as soon as possible.
Updated: Parents dropping off their children or staying on site to watch their children participate in registered activities are not required to provide proof of vaccination.
In addition to showing proof of vaccination, customers will also be required to show valid Government photo ID if aged 19 and over.
To be compliant with this PHO Order, all customers participating in physically active programs and services must be prepared to produce their proof of vaccination and government-issued ID at time of payment, prior to entering the Wellness Centre, or prior to participating in a fitness, exercise, sport, dance or other physical activity.
Please plan to arrive a few minutes early to allow us time to process your admission. We respectfully ask that you be understanding and patient with staff at this time.
Masks are required in all common areas for people five years and older, regardless of vaccine status. Masks can only be removed prior to engaging in physical activity.
Thank-you for your patience as we implement this new procedure.
For more information, and to learn how to acquire your BC Vaccine Card, please visit the Government of British Columbia website: www.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html