Manager of Finance
Competition Number: 17033
Job Title: Manager of Finance
Department: Financial Services
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: Competitive base salary and generous benefits package
Posted Date: December 11, 2017, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 19, 2017, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: January 19, 2018, 2:00 pm
The City of Courtenay has an exciting career opportunity for an enthusiastic and energetic Manager of Finance.
Managing the Finance -Treasury Team, you will be responsible for the finance and general accounting functions of the City. The Manager of Finance reports to the Director of Financial Services, while managing and directing the work of the finance accounting, clerical and reception staff and exercising considerable independent action and judgment in daily work. For a complete job description go to www.courtenay.ca/jobs
The ideal candidate will have a dynamic personality with a post-secondary education related to Business Commerce from a recognized educational institution, and a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
Other Qualifications Include:
- Considerable (5 to 7 years) experience in accounting practices (preferably in local government) with sound supervisory experience in a unionized workforce
- Thorough knowledge in accounting principles, standards, and practices including the preparation of financial statements and internal audit and control methods
- Thorough knowledge of government legislation and regulations relating to treasury and accounting functions
- Thorough knowledge of computerized financial systems
- Some knowledge of Freedom of Information and Privacy Act
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time management, analytical, problem solving, decision making, supervisory, and office computer skills
- Ability to effectively delegate tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of personnel and lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment
- Ability to deal courteously, tactfully and diplomatically with the public, and deal effectively with Council members, and City staff
- Certificate in Local Government Administration
- Knowledge of local government legislation and associated provincial and federal statutes
You must also be willing to undergo a criminal record check if you are the successful applicant.
This is a full-time position available mid-January. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you’ll receive a competitive base salary plus a generous benefits package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
Best of all, you will enjoy all that Courtenay and the Comox Valley have to offer and be part of a friendly workforce.
If you take pride in serving your community and your personal values align with the City of Courtenay’s core values, then submit your resume and covering letter clearly marked "Application – Manager of Finance", no later than December 19th, 2017.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.