Relief Environmental Planner
Job Title: Relief Environmental Planner
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full-time
Salary: $37.50/hr in 2017 and $38.25/hr in 2018
Posted Date: December 4, 2017, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 26, 2017, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: December 8, 2017, 6:07 am
The City of Courtenay’s Development Services Department invites applications for the temporary position of “Environmental Planner”. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions of the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
The Environmental Planner will perform a variety of planning duties that include preparing reports, studies, and facilitating public consultations related to land use, parks and environmental planning. Reporting to the Manager of Planning, this position also reviews land use and development applications as they relate to environmental and parks policies, ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations and legislation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Degree from a Canadian Institute of Planners accredited Planning Program or a degree in Environmental Sciences, or Resource Management, or have an equivalent combination of post-secondary education and work experience
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Planning Institute of BC
- Valid BC Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Check
- Sound (3-4 years) experience in the community planning field with emphasis on sustainability and environmental issues.
- Sound knowledge of the philosophies, principles, and practices of municipal and environmental planning and design
- Sound knowledge of Local Government and environmental legislation in British Columbia
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation, facilitation, research, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to act in a coordinating capacity with City staff, officials, citizen’s groups, etc.
- Ability to be creative and use sound judgment in making planning recommendations
- Ability to work well as a team member
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to deal effectively with representatives of government, business and development, the general public, City staff and Council members
This is a temporary full-time position available immediately until approximately September 30, 2018 (35-hour workweek). The 2017 wage rate is $37.50 increasing to $38.25 in 2018. If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a current resume and a one-page covering letter no later than December 26, 2017.
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.