Strengthening Communities Grant
The Comox Valley witnessed a marked increase in outdoor sheltering activity in public spaces after indoor shelter options were either closed or significantly reduced in capacity in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, there was a dramatic increase in homelessness within the region from 2018 to 2020.
In 2021 the CVRD was awarded a regional grant of $1.093 million through the Strengthening Communities' Services program. The purpose of the funding is to better support people experiencing homelessness in the Comox Valley.
The funding will strengthen Comox Valley's response to the increased demand/need for critical homelessness support services. Working with municipal partners and an advisory committee composed of the Comox Valley Coalition to End Homelessness, Comox Valley Transition Society, and Wachiay Friendship Centre, the City oversees the administration of this grant funding to established community outreach providers.
This web page will provide updates on outcomes realized directly from this funding
Comox Valley Community members have submitted the following impact statements through the local service groups:
- "I am new to my position and to working in the Comox Valley - and so seeing both this (Naloxone training) and the information on the Village come through your office/department is like a WOW to me. So just wanted to express appeciation."
- “It gives me a sense of accomplishment and self-pride. I find myself lost on the days it’s not open.”
- “Connect is so important to us. I can always go there and get help. Without it I would never get to eat.”
- “Having a reason to be a proud citizen because of outreach. To me it’s a part of the solution … I am part of that and in doing so it is self rewarding and in a small way I am making up for the bad choices and pain I caused in addiction.”
- “… some days it is just too hard to feed myself… I really need it”
“We look forward to your program every Sunday and really rely on this food to get us throughout the week”
The Comox Valley Coalition to end Homelessness has created a Street Survival Guide for anyone who finds themselves experiencing homelessness.
The Street Survival Guide can be accessed here
***Comox Valley Strengthening Community Workshops and Training Opportunities***
- Vancouver Island Health Authority Safe Disposal of Needles Information
- Comox Valley Regional District Staff Report
- UBCM Strengthening Communities’ Services
- News Release: UBCM awards $1 million grant towards Strengthening Community Services project in the Comox Valley