Competition Number: 21044
Job Title: Building Inspector
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-TIme
Posted Date: August 23, 2021, 12:00 am
Closing Date: December 31, 2021, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: October 12, 2021, 3:58 pm
Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business.
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the position of “Building Inspector” in the Development Services Department. This is a union position subject to the terms and conditions in the collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the Manager of Building and Administrative Services, this position reviews building and plumbing permit applications, and issues permits; inspects and approves plans and drawings pertaining to the development, construction and renovation of major projects and conducts on-site inspections of properties, new construction and renovations. The Building Inspector alsoreviews Liquor Licence and business licence applications, inspects business premises, and issues licenses and permits; provides information and technical advice to the public and other City departments and prepares reports and other documentation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Current BC Building Inspectors Certification
- Relevant post-secondary education
- Current BC Plumbing Inspector Certification
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Eligible for Building Officials Association of BC membership
- Sound to considerable building and plumbing inspection experience
- Thorough knowledge of current BC building and plumbing codes, local government statutes, regulations and bylaws, and building construction methods, materials, soils, plumbing systems and sign construction
- Considerable knowledge of structural, civil, geotechnical, mechanical and electrical engineering pursuant to the BC Building Code
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to check and interpret plans and specifications, compare with construction in progress, suggest and enforce changes or corrections required with firmness, impartiality and sound judgment
- Physical ability to undertake frequent site inspections including crawling through attics and crawlspaces, climbing ladders and work in inclement weather
- Criminal Record Check
This is a regular full-time position available soon. The hourly wage rate will be dependent on experience and certification.
The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
To apply, please visit https://hwest.ca/job/courtenay-building-inspector-3
No additional documents available for this post.