Competition Number: 19038
Job Title: Custodians
Department: Recreation & Culture
Employment Type: Casual
Posted Date: July 16, 2019, 12:00 am
Closing Date: July 31, 2019, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: September 3, 2019, 2:19 pm
The City of Courtenay invites written applications for casual Custodians in the Recreation & Cultural Services Department. This is a union position and is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
This position is suitable for an individual that does not require full time work but is available to work any shift on a 24/7 schedule.
Primary responsibilities include janitorial duties in recreation and other assigned facilities while providing customer service to user groups and the general public; Assisting in minor repairs to facilities and equipment; Monitoring and inspecting premises to ensure facility security; and completing necessary maintenance records.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 education
- Building Service Worker 1 certificate
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Current Criminal Record Clearance
- Hazardous materials information system training
- Current First Aid Standard Level - Industry and CPR Level C
- Sound experience in custodial work and building maintenance, and the safe operation of related equipment and hand tools
- Some knowledge of cleaning procedures for public buildings; cleaning products and chemical hazards and handling; public building fire, health and safety regulations
- Good interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to understand and carry out job-related instructions
- Physical ability to frequently lift heavy objects such as tables and other equipment, work in awkward positions, and climb ladders; continuously stand and walk throughout the day; occasionally work in inclement weather
- Sound work ethics
This is a casual on-call position involving varied shifts for a 24/7 operation. The 2019 wage rate is $26.53 per hour. An additional 12.4% of gross wages is paid in lieu of vacation, statutory holidays and benefits.
Interested persons who meet the above qualifications and are available to respond to assignments on short notice should submit a resume and covering letter clearly marked, “Application – Casual Custodian” no later than July 31, 2019
To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.