Director of Corporate Support Services
Competition Number: 20023
Job Title: Director of Corporate Support Services
Department: Corporate Support Services
Employment Type: Exempt Full-time
Salary: An attractive salary and a competitive benefit package
Posted Date: May 19, 2020, 12:00 am
Closing Date: June 15, 2020, 11:45 pm
Last Modified: May 19, 2020, 5:30 pm
The City of Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City of Courtenay is proud to be a leader in Sound Municipal Asset Management practices. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The Corporate Support Services Department is responsible for the key organization-wide internal support services of corporate statutory & legal matters/liabilities; human resources; information technology; purchasing activities; centralized communications; and bylaw enforcement. The latter two functions each contain elements of service provision directly to the public.
As a key member of the organization’s senior management team, the Director of Corporate Support Services is responsible for corporate statutory & legal matters/liabilities; human resources; information technology; purchasing activities including land disposition; centralized communications; and bylaw enforcement.
This position assists in the development of corporate plans and strategies that meet the statutory requirements of the City and the priorities of Council.
This position reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
Positions that report to the Director of Corporate Support Services are:
- Manager of Human Resources
- Manager of Information Systems
- Manager of Purchasing
- Manager of Communications
- Manager of Bylaw Enforcement
The Successful Candidate Will Have
- A Degree in Public Administration or other relevant discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A Certificate in Local Government Administration through the Provincial Board of Examiners
- Local Government Management Association membership
- Substantial (11 –13 years) experience in local government corporate administration with considerable related experience at a management level.
- Extensive knowledge of the acts and regulations pertaining to local government such as the Community Charter, Local Government Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Ability to read and interpret legislation and legal opinions, carry out research, prepare reports, and write complex documents and correspondence
- Extensive knowledge in the role and functions of local government
- Thorough knowledge of public relations and/or organizational communication strategies
- Considerable knowledge of information technology
- Sound knowledge of budget preparation and control
- Exceptional writing skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time-management, research, analytical, consultative, public relations, and supervisory skills
- Ability to apply tact and diplomacy in working effectively with elected officials, staff, media and the public
- Ability to effectively plan and manage a multi-function department
- Ability to effectively manage priorities and meet statutory and Council deadlines
- Ability to effectively lead, coach, and motivate staff in a team environment
- Knowledge or experience in human resources
- Knowledge or experience in information technology
- Knowledge or experience in purchasing
- Knowledge or experience in corporate communications
- Knowledge or experience in bylaw enforcement
- Knowledge and experience in emergency management and the BC Emergency Management System
What We Offer
The opportunity to live and work in a community surrounded by natural beauty along with an attractive salary and a competitive benefit package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
For more information about this opportunity, please refer to the job description attached below.
If your skills and abilities align with this opportunity, and you are excited about taking on a new challenge, please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking on the "Apply" button below.
Closing Date: We will begin reviewing applications on June 16, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.