Casual Building Inspector
Competition Number: 21059
Job Title: Casual Building Inspector
Department: Development Services
Employment Type: Casual, On-Call
Posted Date: September 29, 2021, 12:00 am
Closing Date: October 17, 2021, 11:00 pm
Last Modified: October 18, 2021, 5:59 am
The City of Courtenay invites applications for the casual position of "Building Inspector” in the Development Services Department. This is a union position and is subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the current collective agreement between the City and CUPE Local 556.
Reporting to the Manager of Building and Administrative Services, the Building Inspector’s responsibilities include reviewing building and plumbing permit applications, and issuing permits; inspecting and approving plans and drawings pertaining to the development, construction and renovation of major projects; conducting on-site inspections of properties, new construction and renovations; reviewing zoning, business license and sign permit applications, inspecting business premises, and issuing licenses and permits; providing information and technical advice to the public and other City departments; and preparing reports and other documentation.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Grade 12 or equivalent education, supplemented by a journeyman level certification in carpentry OR diploma in civil and structural engineering technology or other relevant discipline, from a recognized educational institution.
- Current BC Building Inspectors Level 1, 2 or 3 Certificate
- Current BC Plumbing Inspector Level 1 Certificate
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers License
- Eligible for Building Official Association of BC membership
- Eligible for Plumbing Inspectors Association of BC membership
- Current Criminal Records Clearance
- Building construction and building and plumbing inspection experience for a local government.
- Knowledge of current BC building and plumbing codes, local government statutes, regulations and bylaws, and building construction methods, material, soils, plumbing systems and sign construction.
- Knowledge of structural, civil, geotechnical, mechanical and electrical engineering pursuant to the BC Building Code
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving skills
- Good office computer skills
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to check and interpret complex plans and specifications, compare with construction in progress, suggest and enforce changes or corrections required with firmness, impartiality and sound judgment.
- Able to carry out the physical demands of the job
- Sound work ethics
This is a casual on-call positions involving shifts during regular business hours. Hours of work are generally 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The hourly wage rate, based on a 35-hour workweek, starts at $41.99, depending on qualifications.
Applications should include your resume outlining how you meet the qualifications, and a covering letter marked “Application – On-Call Building Inspector”. To submit your application, click on the “Apply” button below.
We sincerely thank all applicants; however, only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.