Street Entertainer Program
Street entertainers wishing to perform on public property in the City of Courtenay must apply for and receive a Street Entertainer Permit.
To request a permit, please follow these steps:
Step 1: Complete the application form:
Step 2: Submit the completed application with a piece of identification, in person at Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Avenue.
Step 3: You will be contacted to audition for the Downtown Courtenay Business Improvement Association. (video auditions will be accepted).
If your audition is successful, please go to City Hall to pay the $25 non refundable permit fee and have your photo taken.
Step 4: You will be notified when your permit and identification badge are ready for pickup. The permit will be issued for a 12 month period. You will also need to take part in an orientation on the designated street entertainer locations.
Performances are permitted between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, seven days a week
Performances are limited to a maximum of two hours in any one location. You cannot repeat a performance at the same location on the same day.
Locations: There are five designated locations. The Street Entertainer Program does not apply to private property.
Unrestricted location: allows amplification audible beyond 75 metres; no amplified vocals
- Sid Williams Theatre fountain plaza
Restricted Locations: no amplification except non-acoustic instruments. No sound audible beyond 75 metres
- Comox Valley Centre for the Arts (Comox Valley Art Gallery) Plaza
- 5th and England - north east corner (old Palace Theatre site)
- 5th and England – north west corner (near parking lot at 407 5th Street)
- 4th and England – south west corner (near municipal parking lot)
Dos and Don'ts
- Ensure your ID badge is clearly displayed during your performance
- Remove all litter and garbage generated by the performance
- Keep the sidewalk clear for pedestrians
- Feel free to have an open container for donations and/or sell recordings during your performance
- Vacate the premises if requested by a Peace Officer, i.e. Bylaw Enforcement or other City representative
- For groups: ensure all group members are included on your permit. Group performances must include at least two of the group members
- Use profanity
- Use dangerous props
- Use props in a way that could injure or cause damage to the public
- Consume, or perform under the influence of, alcohol or drugs
- Aggressively solicit for donations, verbally or otherwise
- Perform at a location that has already been booked for a special event, unless permitted by the City or event organizer
Failure to comply with the above restrictions could result in a fine and/or suspension or cancellation of your permit.
Contact the Recreation & Cultural Services Department at 250-334-4441 or email email@example.com
For further details, read the City’s Street Entertainer Bylaw No. 2749, 2013 [PDF - 47 KB].