Street Entertainer Program
Street entertainers wishing to perform on public property in the City of Courtenay must apply for and receive a Street Entertainer Permit.
To request a permit, please follow these steps:
Step 1: Complete the application form:
Step 2: Submit the completed application with a piece of identification, in person at Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Avenue.
Step 3: You will be contacted by the Downtown Courtenay Business Improvement Association (DCBIA) by email asking for a video sample of your entertainment. If your audition is successful, you will be asked to email a head shot to DCBIA for your permit (no glasses or hats please). This photo will be sent to City of Courtenay.
Step 4: You will be notified when your permit and identification badge can be picked up. After receiving notification, go to City Hall and pay the $25.00 non-refundable permit fee (debit, cash, or cheque). The permit will be issued for a 12 month period. You will also need to take part in an orientation on the designated street entertainer locations.
Performances are permitted between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, seven days a week
Performances are limited to a maximum of two hours in any one location. You cannot repeat a performance at the same location on the same day.
Locations: There are five designated locations. The Street Entertainer Program does not apply to private property.
Unrestricted location: allows amplification audible beyond 75 metres; no amplified vocals
- Sid Williams Theatre fountain plaza
Restricted Locations: no amplification except non-acoustic instruments. No sound audible beyond 75 metres
- Comox Valley Centre for the Arts (Comox Valley Art Gallery) Plaza
- 5th and England - north east corner (old Palace Theatre site)
- 5th and England – north west corner (near parking lot at 407 5th Street)
- 4th and Duncan – south west corner (near municipal parking lot)
Dos and Don'ts
- Ensure your ID badge is clearly displayed during your performance
- Remove all litter and garbage generated by the performance
- Keep the sidewalk clear for pedestrians
- Feel free to have an open container for donations and/or sell recordings during your performance
- Vacate the premises if requested by a Peace Officer, i.e. Bylaw Enforcement or other City representative
- For groups: ensure all group members are included on your permit. Group performances must include at least two of the group members
- Use profanity
- Use dangerous props
- Use props in a way that could injure or cause damage to the public
- Consume, or perform under the influence of, alcohol or drugs
- Aggressively solicit for donations, verbally or otherwise
- Perform at a location that has already been booked for a special event, unless permitted by the City or event organizer
Failure to comply with the above restrictions could result in a fine and/or suspension or cancellation of your permit.
Contact the Recreation & Cultural Services Department at 250-334-4441 or email email@example.com
For further details, read the City’s Street Entertainer Bylaw No. 2749, 2013 [PDF - 47 KB].