Street Entertainer Program
** PLEASE NOTE - Due to COVID-19 the Street Entertainer Program is temporarily suspended.
Street entertainers wishing to perform on public property in the City of Courtenay must apply for and receive a Street Entertainer Permit.
To request a permit, please follow these steps:
Step 1: Complete the application form:
Step 2: Submit completed application with a video sample of your entertainment and headshot (used for permit – no sunglasses or hats please) to email@example.com. Paper applications accepted at City Hall - 830 Cliffe Avenue, however video/headshot must be sent to the aforementioned email address.
Step 3: City of Courtenay will send auditions to Downtown Business Improvement Association to be reviewed. If your audition is successful, you will be notified by the email address or phone number provided on your application.
Step 4: Once you have received notification, go to City Hall with a valid piece of ID and pay the $25.00 non-refundable permit fee (debit, cash, or cheque). The permit will be issued for a 12 month period. Please review the important details below before performing.
Performances are permitted between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, seven days a week
Performances are limited to a maximum of two hours in any one location. You cannot repeat a performance at the same location on the same day.
Locations: There are five designated locations, please review Orientation Map prior to performing. The Street Entertainer Program does not apply to private property.
Unrestricted location: allows amplification audible beyond 75 metres; no amplified vocals
- 5th Street and Cliffe Avenue - Sid Williams Theatre fountain plaza
Restricted Locations: no amplification except non-acoustic instruments. No sound audible beyond 75 metres
- 6th Street and Duncan Avenue – Comox Valley Art Gallery Plaza
- 5th Street and England Avenue – north east corner (old Palace Theatre site)
- 5th Street and England Avenue – north west corner (near parking lot at 407 5th Street)
- 4th Street and Duncan Avenue – south west corner (near municipal parking lot)
Dos and Don'ts
- Ensure your ID badge is clearly displayed during your performance
- Remove all litter and garbage generated by the performance
- Keep the sidewalk clear for pedestrians
- Feel free to have an open container for donations and/or sell recordings during your performance
- Vacate the premises if requested by a Peace Officer, i.e. Bylaw Enforcement or other City representative
- For groups: ensure all group members are included on your permit. Group performances must include at least two of the group members
- Use profanity
- Use dangerous props
- Use props in a way that could injure or cause damage to the public
- Consume, or perform under the influence of, alcohol or drugs
- Aggressively solicit for donations, verbally or otherwise
- Perform at a location that has already been booked for a special event, unless permitted by the City or event organizer
Failure to comply with the above restrictions could result in a fine and/or suspension or cancellation of your permit.
Contact the Recreation & Cultural Services Department at 250-334-4441 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further details, read the City’s Street Entertainer Bylaw No. 2749, 2013 [PDF - 47 KB].