Proof of Vaccination Requirements
The Province of B.C. is lifting proof of vaccination requirements effective April 8, 2022.
Courtenay Recreation Update: Proof of Vaccination Requirements Lifting as of April 8
By Order of the Provincial Health Officer patrons 12 years and older participating in some recreation programs are required to show proof that they are fully vaccinated with two doses until April 8, 2022.
The requirement applies to all people born in 2009 or earlier (12+) and is required to access some events, services and businesses in BC.
- Patrons 19 and older must also provide government issued photo ID.
- Youth aged 12 to 18 can carry their BC Vaccine card, or have a trusted adult carry it for them.
- Youth are not required to show valid government photo ID.
Please plan to arrive a few minutes early to allow us time to process your admission. We respectfully ask that you be understanding and patient with staff at this time.
What services and programs require proof of vaccination?
According to the Government of British Columbia website, proof of vaccination is required for all people born in 2009 or earlier (12+) who wish to participate in the following recreation activities, programs, and events:
- Gyms, exercise and dance facilities or studios
- Includes any physically active programs or services happening in recreation facilities
- Youth ages 12 & over attending the Wellness Centre or participating in adult fitness classes are required to show proof of vaccination
- Indoor organized adult group recreational classes and activities
- For example, pottery studios, art classes or choir rehearsals
- Indoor adult group and team sports for people 22 years old or older
- Indoor organized events
- For example, wedding and funeral receptions (outside of a funeral home), organized parties, conferences, trade fairs and workshops
- Spectators at indoor youth sporting events:
- *Please note: due to staff capacity, this means parents/guardians will no longer have the option to stay and watch children and youth programs which fall into this category such as Gymnastics programs, regardless of vaccination status
- Courtenay Recreation Volunteers ages 19 and over
- Parents/caregivers participating in parent and tot or family programs to support their children.
- Indoor ticketed sporting events
- Indoor concerts, theatre, dance and symphony events
Which activities do NOT require proof of vaccination inside city facilities?
Information Subject to Change
- Children and youth indoor recreation and sport activities for persons under 22 years old (does not apply to weight room, gym and fitness programs open to all ages)
- Parents/caregivers dropping off and picking up their children.
- Support Workers attending a program to support a person with disabilities
- Bathroom and shower use
- Courtenay Recreation Volunteers ages 18 and under
- Staff, contractors, contract program instructors, partner agency staff
- Emergency Use (ESS, Cooling Centres, Warming Centres)
- For children in Before & After School Care programs
- Outdoor programs
- Council meetings at City Hall
- Visiting reception counters at City Hall, Courtenay Fire Hall, Public Works, and Recreation Centres
Points to Remember
- Please stay home if you’re sick
- Arrive a few minutes early to allow us time to process your admission
- Wash or sanitize your hands as you enter the facility
Parents Dropping off Children
Parents dropping off their children are not required to provide proof of vaccination.
Spectators at Events
Proof of vaccination is required for the following:
- Spectators at indoor sporting events, regardless of size * Please note: due to staff capacity, this means parents/guardians will no longer have the option to stay and watch children and youth programs which fall into this category such as Gymnastics programs, regardless of vaccination status
Need to Withdraw From Your Program or Activity?
If you choose to withdraw from your program or activity due to your vaccination status, there will be no administration fees or penalties. If you withdraw after a program has started, you will receive a credit or refund for the remaining classes in the session. Requests to cancel or suspend memberships will also be granted. For further assistance, please contact us: 250-338-5371 or 250-338-1000.
Thank you for your patience as we implement these new procedures.
Questions about the Provincial Health Order should be directed to the Vancouver Island Health Authority or the Office of the Provincial Health Officer.
For complete details and provincial restrictions and ongoing updates visit gov.bc.ca/covid19