Parade & Event Permits

If you are planning an event within the City of Courtenay that requires the use of a public right of way such as a road or sidewalk, you need to fill out an application form and supply supporting documentation. 

Things to Consider

  • Short-term road closures and sidewalk closures: minimum 20 days' notice is required for the approval process
  • Extended road closures and bridge closures require Council approval. Please submit your request at least 45 days prior to the event
  • A Traffic Management Plan is required, as per the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways
  • Insurance: You will need to obtain and provide evidence of minimum $2 million liability insurance that indemnifies the City of Courtenay and includes a 30 day notice of cancellation clause.
  • Emergency Services: You are responsible for notifying all emergency services prior to your event
  • Downtown Courtenay events must have the approval of the Downtown Courtenay Business Improvement Association

Application Related Forms and Documents


Large Scale Events

Events withmore than 1,000 paid attendees will require a Special Event Licence Application Form [PDF - 150 KB] issued through the Legislative Services Department. Special Events Permits must be submitted at least 45 days in advance of the event.


City Park and Facility Rentals

Interested in booking a City of Courtenay venue for your event, such as a park or facility? Contact Courtenay Recreation for rental and booking information. The application and requirements will be administered through their rental contract process.