Parade & Event Permits
If you are planning an event within the City of Courtenay that requires the use of a public right of way such as a road or sidewalk, you need to fill out an application form and supply supporting documentation.
Things to Consider
- Short-term road closures and sidewalk closures: minimum 20 days' notice is required for the approval process
- Extended road closures and bridge closures require Council approval. Please submit your request at least 45 days prior to the event
- A Traffic Management Plan is required, as per the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Traffic Control Manual for Work on Roadways
- Insurance: You will need to obtain and provide evidence of minimum $2 million liability insurance that indemnifies the City of Courtenay and includes a 30 day notice of cancellation clause.
- Emergency Services: You are responsible for notifying all emergency services prior to your event
- Downtown Courtenay events must have the approval of the Downtown Courtenay Business Improvement Association
Application Related Forms and Documents
- Event Application Package.pdf [PDF - 1.6 MB]
- Traffic Regulations Bylaw [PDF - 97 KB]
- Special Events Bylaw [PDF - 45 KB]
Large Scale Events
Events withmore than 1,000 paid attendees will require a Special Event Licence Application Form [PDF - 150 KB] issued through the Legislative Services Department. Special Events Permits must be submitted at least 45 days in advance of the event.
City Park and Facility Rentals
Interested in booking a City of Courtenay venue for your event, such as a park or facility? Contact Courtenay Recreation for rental and booking information. The application and requirements will be administered through their rental contract process.