June Activity Calendar for Youth at Home
The LINC Youth Centre's June calendar includes great activities for each day of the month for teens at home. Follow along with our LINC staff and do activities each day and post a photo of you completing the task – or jump around between dates and choose the ones that you like best!
For those doing activities each day:
Each day at 8 am, we will post the activity of the day on The LINC's facebook page and each time you post a picture of you completing one of the tasks, you will be entered into a draw for a Courtenay Recreation/LINC Youth Centre prize pack. 30 days in June, could mean 30 entries - show us what you've got!
Check out The LINC's facebook page:
Additional photos/videos of activity ideas will be available on The LINC's facebook page – check them out each morning!
Click on the links in the table below to go to the instructions for each activity:
Most of the supplies you need you can gather outside:
- Anything else neat you find!
- Glue (hot glue would be best)
- Paint/Sealant (if you would like)
- Wood cut-outs or popsicle sticks
Take your wood-cut outs or poopsicle sticks and use them to create the door. Decorate with all the other supplies and hide in your garden!
Everyone has enjoyed doing a handstand at some point in their life. Did you know there are actually some tips and tricks to doing one properly?
Take any supplies you find around the house and compete with your family.
Common supplies can include:
- cardstock or other paper
- milk carton
- packing or scotch tape
- popsicle sticks
Take your supplies and build a boat. Once you are done, put them in the bathtub or a bucket of water and see who survives the longest!
You can even add to the challenge by adding weight and see who’s holds the most weight before sinking!
Or if you are stuck for ideas you o check out how to make a paper boat here.
- 1 cup baby oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup hand soap or shampoo (preferably unscented)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- plastic squeeze bottles
In a bowl, add the oil and stir in the remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour mixture into plastic squeezable bottle. Be sure to shake before use, as ingredients will separate and settle a bit in the bottle.
Yields two 8 oz. bottles.
Learn how to solve a Rubick’s Cube and impress your friends!
Check out this step-by-step video tutorial!
With the world being such an unknown place, let’s take a day to turn off the social media intake and relax. Treat yourself to a PJs day, order pizza, watch tv, go for a walk and enjoy a day all to yourself.
You never know when this might be handy and it is a great skill to have!
Check out this step by step video and graphic below. Practice signing your name so you can impress your friends this summer.
- Mini marshmallows
Just like when you were a kid – oh wait you still are! Stick your toothpicks and marshmallows together and see how tall you can make your tower!
- 8 cups of water
- 3 orange pekoe tea bags
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup white sugar
- In a large saucepan, heat water to a rapid boil. Remove from heat and drop in the tea bags. Cover and let steep for 1 hour.
- In a large pitcher, combine the steeped tea and the sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then stir in lemon juice. Refrigerate until chilled.
Take a break from the present and plan a future trip!
Where do you think you would love to go?
- Peru and hike to Machu Pichu?
- Egypt and see the pyramids?
- Europe and get a taste of history?
- Thailand and see beautiful temples?
Travel Planning Tips:
- Come up with a savings plan (don’t forget to consider currency exchange rates)
- Research travel tips of how to save money
- Break down your to-do list (ie: booking accommodations, flights, activities, etc.) onto a monthly calendar - so you won’t forget anything and it is broken down into smaller chunks.
- Research travel tips of how to save money
- Write a packing list ahead of time so you don’t forget anything
- Remember travel insurance and make sure your passport is up-to-date
Learn about Constellations and then try and find them at night! Sea & Sky The Wonders of the Universe has a great list of upcoming astronomical events for 2020 (and beyond) check it out and then look up to see if any will be visible locally!
Also check out the phone app SkyView. It allows you to point your camera at the sky at night and tells you which constellations are above you.
What will you put on it?
Pineapple? Pepperoni? Garlic? Feta? Blueberries? Grapes?
Get your bread, sauce, and ingredients and try it out!
You can even make your own pizza crust by following this easy recipe!
What fun will your summer include?
Some ideas to get you started:
- Beach trips
- Making popsicles
- Going swimming
- Completing a new goal
- Drinking slurpees
- Having a water balloon fight
- Go somewhere new
The possibilities are endless.
- Blend up fruit, yogurt, chia seeds, juice, or anything else you enjoy into a smoothie; pour into your popsicle containers, and freeze.
- Pour lemonade into your popsicle containers, then drop in some whole fruit such as slices of strawberry or kiwi. Freeze and enjoy!
- Blend up vanilla ice-cream, then add some oreo cookies. Blend again to break down the cookie. Pour into popsicle containers and freeze.
Learn to skip stones like a pro!
Check out this video by a competitive stone skipper!