Youth at Home Activities
The LINC Youth Centre's staff put together monthly packages of activities for youth at home during the pandemic. Check out six months of youth at home activities:
April 2020 Youth at Home Activities
May 2020 Youth at Home Activities
June 2020 Youth at Home Activities
July 2020 Youth at Home Activities
August 2020 Youth at Home Activities
See below for September 2020 Youth at Home Activities:
Click on the links in the table below to go to the instructions for each activity:
Melted Crayon Art
- Old crayons
- Hot glue & glue gun
- Hair dryer
- Peel the paper (if desired) off the crayons and hot glue them onto your canvas
- Blow dry the crayons until they begin to melt
- When your melted crayon has your desired look, let the canvas dry
If you are feeling extra creative, you can add silhouettes (with black paper or black markers) or you can even make shapes with masking tape to peel off once the crayon is dry.
Make a Sugar Scrub
There are many great sugar scrubs and they are super simple to make – and especially helpful as you get ready for back to school!
This recipe includes only 2-3 ingredients.
- Brown Sugar
- Coconut Oil
- Essential Oils (if desired)
- Mixing bowl
- Glass storage jar (ie: mason jar)
Mix ingredients until there is a smooth consistency and store. This is great for your skin to make it feel smooth, silky, and youthful!
Charades is a game that is easy to set up and can be fun for all!
Check out this list of ideas and how to play for your night of laughs!
- Film canisters
- Alka-Seltzer tablets
- Decorative supplies
- Decorate your film canister (opening down)…you can add fins, coloured paper, or anything else to the outside.
- Fill ½ with water
- Drop in ½ an alkaseltzer tablet
- Quickly put lid back on and place with the lid down and move away
- Watch your rocket take-off!
Make your own Chocolate Milkshake
Who doesn’t love a delicious milkshake? They are so simple to make!
Try this delicious Hershey’s Recipe…
- 2 cups Chocolate or Vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- Blend all ingredients until smooth (but do not over blend or it may become thin)
- Pour and garnish (if desired, try using chocolate shavings or a cherry on top!)
Stained Glass Mason Jars
This is a simple craft that turns out different every time!
- Larger paint brush
- White glue
- Mason Jar
- Coloured Tissue paper
- Cut tissue paper into smaller squares or other shapes (feel free to rip pieces as well)
- Use your paint brush to put a layer of glue on the outside of your mason jar
- Stick on your tissue paper and let dry!
- To layer more tissue paper, let dry and repeat steps
“National Cheeseburger Day!” – Make Your Own Homemade Burgers:
Try out this awesome recipe!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder OR 1/4 tsp crushed chili peppers
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl
- Shape into patties and grill
- Serve with a fresh bun and your choice of condiments and fixings - cheese, onions, lettuce, tomatoes
Play Mad Libs
How to play:
One player acts as the “reader” and asks the other players, who haven’t seen the story, to fill in the blanks with adjectives, nouns, exclamations, colors, and more. These words are inserted into the blanks and then the story is read aloud!
Check out this website for some free printable Mad Libs sheet!
Make Your Own Stove-less DIY Play-Doh
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tbsps of cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- food colouring
- 1 cup boiling water
- Mix all ingredients except boiling water
- Add boiling water & mix well until combined
Do an Egg Drop
- Construction paper
- Any other supplies that could keep your egg safe!
- Take your supplies and make a contraption that would keep your egg safe in a fall!
- Take your contraption and place your egg inside
- Challenge your friends to dropping their contraption from various heights
- See who has the longest surviving egg
Pumpkin Spice Muffin Recipe:
Who doesn’t love this taste of fall? Check out this amazing recipe!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Measure flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and spices into a medium bowl and whisk
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut oil and vanilla extract
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together
- Scoop batter evenly into muffin tin
- Bake your muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Let’s go retro and play this traditional game!
Find printable BINGO boards here.
Next, go to your app store, type in “Bingo Number Generator” and download the free app for your BINGO game!