New Building Bylaw and Step Code Adoption
Effective April 6th, 2020, the City of Courtenay has adopted a new building bylaw. Building Bylaw No. 3001, 2020 now includes requirements that will ensure construction will comply with the BC Energy Step Code.
- Building Bylaw No. 3001, 2020
- Energy Step Code
- Changes to the City of Courtenay's Building Bylaw Bulletin
For more information, visit our BC Energy Step Code page.
Permit Application Procedures
If you would like to make an application please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed summary of your proposal.
All applications for construction, including small projects (accessory buildings, interior alterations of houses, etc), all new single family homes, new multi-family sites and commercial projects as well as plumbing permits, tenant improvement permits, and demolitions MUST be submitted digitally.
Please review the following handouts for information on how to apply for a permit and what requirements must be provided. Please note that we are currently not collecting fees at the time of application: all fees will be collected when the permit is ready to be issued. Applications submissions are not entered in the system until all applicable components are received.
- 2020 Digital Building Permit Application Procedure
- Building Permit Application
- Fire Safety at Construction Sites
- 2020 Damage to Infrastructure Agreement
- Owner's Undertaking Agreement
- Complex Buildings - Submission Requirements
- Standard Buildings - Submission Requirements
- Online Payment Brochure
Building Inspection are still being conducted at this time. Please note that social distancing measures must be in place on all sites: all tradespeople who are not required to liaise with the City inspector should not be onsite at the time of inspection.
The Building Services Division is responsible for the enforcement of the British Columbia Building and Plumbing Codes and municipal bylaws relating to building construction, business licence administration, the review and investigation of complaints on building matters and the technical review of development applications.
A building permit must be obtained prior to commencing with any of the following:
- New construction
- Removal, relocation or change of occupancy of any building or structure including excavation or other work related to construction
Building permits ensure that all buildings comply with the safety, health, building and zoning requirements of the City of Courtenay and Province of British Columbia.
Click on the links below for detailed supplemental information and supporting documents (the information headings below are listed in alphabetical order).
NOTE: Geodetic Elevations on Site Plans
In accordance with the City of Courtenay's Building Bylaw No. 3001, 2020 for all new building permit applications relating to standard buildings (new residential, new commercial, etc). All submitted site plans should include the final proposed elevations at the four main corners of the building. This will allow City Staff to ensure that the plans comply with the development's lot grading plan.
- Accessory Buildings and Structures Example Drawings
- Application Fees
- Application Form
- Application Submissions-Complex Buildings
- Application Submissions-Standard Buildings
- Building Location Surveys
- Commercial Tenant Alterations/Improvements
- Deck Construction Example Drawings
- Energy Step Code Bulletin
- Garage Conversion Example Drawings
- Glass Guard Bulletin
- House Move Handout
- Inspections Required
- Partial Building Permits - Foundation Only, Excavation
- Party Wall Fire Separation
- Pumped Sanitary Systems Bulletin
- Retaining Walls
- Secondary Suites
- Worksafe BC Hazardous Materials Information
Building and Plumbing Inspections and Inquiries
Please note the following information is superceded by the above Interim Inspection Procedures until further notice.
An inspector is available for phone calls and inquiries during regular office hours, Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
For inspection requests please email email@example.com. 24 hours notice is required for all inspections and inspections are conducted between 9:00am to 11:30am in the mornings only.
Please note that due to operational constraints, the Building Division is unable to provide an exact time that the inspector will arrive on site.