The Building Services Division is responsible for the enforcement of the British Columbia Building and Plumbing Codes and municipal bylaws relating to building construction, business licence administration, the review and investigation of complaints on building matters and the technical review of development applications.
A building permit must be obtained prior to commencing with any of the following:
- New construction
- Removal, relocation or change of occupancy of any building or structure including excavation or other work related to construction
- As of May 1, 2023, the BC Building Code has been enacted across the province, and it requires 20%-better energy efficiency for most new buildings in B.C. This is equivalent to Step 3 for Part 9 buildings and Step 2 for Part 3 buildings. A new Zero Carbon Step Code provides tools to local governments to incentivize or require new construction. This is a significant milestone in B.C.'s transition towards energy efficient and zero carbon new buildings
When starting the building/site design process a Certified Energy Advisor must be retained to ensure the proposed building meets the requirements of the Energy Step Code.
BC Energy Step Code Builders Guide - BC Housing
Compliance tools for Part 9 Buildings
Permit Application Procedures
If you would like to make an application please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed summary of your proposal.
All applications MUST be submitted digitally.
Review the following handouts for information on how to apply for a permit and what requirements must be provided. Applications submissions are not entered in the system until all applicable components are received.
- 2020 Digital Building Permit Application Procedure
- Building Permit Application [PDF - 1 MB]
- Fire Safety at Construction Sites
- 2020 Damage to Infrastructure Agreement
- Owner's Undertaking Agreement
- Complex Buildings - Submission Requirements
- Standard Buildings - Submission Requirements
To book an inspection, email email@example.com.
An inspector is available for phone calls and inquiries during regular office hours, Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
24 hours notice is required for all inspections and inspections are conducted between 9:00am to 12:00pm in the mornings only.
- Accessory Buildings and Structures Example Drawings
- Application Fees
- Application Form [PDF - 1 MB]
- Application Submissions-Complex Buildings
- Application Submissions-Standard Buildings
- Building Location Surveys
- Commercial Tenant Alterations/Improvements
- Deck Construction Example Drawings
- Energy Step Code Bulletin
- Garage Conversion Example Drawings
- Glass Guard Bulletin
- House Move Handout
- Required Inspections [PDF - 761 KB]
- Partial Building Permits - Foundation Only, Excavation
- Party Wall Fire Separation
- Pumped Sanitary Systems Bulletin
- Retaining Walls
- Secondary Suites
- Worksafe BC Hazardous Materials Information