On July 25 2022, a number of changes were made to the Zoning Bylaw No. 2500:
- Development Permit Area Guidelines are now located in the Zoning Bylaw. See Development Permit Area page for more information.
- Secondary suites (contained within the same building as the primary residence) are permitted within nearly all zones that permit a single residential dwelling.
- Bike parking standards have been added, and vehicular parking standards reduced, for new multi-residential dwellings.
The Zoning Bylaw is the key tool used in implementing and regulating land use in the City of Courtenay. The Zoning Bylaw establishes where uses and buildings can occur, and at what densities. Regulations are also created for different uses, locations and siting requirements.
The approach taken in recent years has been to only rezone properties based on a proposal presented to and accepted by Council. This provides a greater level of certainty to Council and to the public and has allowed the City to achieve significant amenities, particularly for parks and open spaces, and for affordable housing.
Interactive Zoning App
For mobile devices but also works on desktops. The app highlights the zoning for each property with a link to the zoning bylaw. This app is useful for members of the public and also for real estate professionals.
How to Make a Zoning Bylaw Amendment Application
A zoning amendment is required when a proposed land use is not permitted under the current zoning for a property.
Identify the Zoning regulations you wish to amend. Ensure that your development proposal meets the required guidelines and regulations.
**Prior to submitting any application, you are advised to discuss the proposal including specific application requirements for your project and required fees with Planning Division Staff.**
Read the Zoning Amendment Application Form and Guidelines to understand the application process and required submissions. Complete the application form and compile the required application submissions prior to sending an application to the City.
- Zoning Amendment Application Form & Guidelines [PDF - 132 KB]
- Staff and Council encourage applicants to work with the Comox Valley Conservation Partnership (email@example.com) early in the design stages of a project to obtain valuable feedback on design options that could help mitigate, improve or adapt to environmental conditions of the development site. Please indicate if you have contacted them.
Read the following information handouts to become familiar with their requirements (this process takes place after an application has been submitted (required with all zoning amendment applications). Staff will provide the applicant with the required list of notification labels for who they are required to notify for the Public Information Meeting or the Alternative Public Information Mailout Process (determined by the Director of Development Services).
- Neighbourhood Public Information Meeting Guidelines [PDF - 1.5 MB]
- Alternative Public Information Meeting Guidelines [PDF - 871 KB]
Read the following information handout to become familiar with the requirement for the installation of a Public Notice Sign on the property that the zoning amendment appication applies to. Staff will provide the applicant with the sign details and information for them to have the sign construction.
Complete the following forms and include them with the applications submissions (required with all development applications).
When you feel that you are familiar with the requirements for making a zoning amendment application and have completed and compiled all of the required application submissions, contact Planning staff for a final review of submissions and staff will forward a link for you to upload your submissions to and provide you with the required application fees and methods available for payment.