Reports and Publications
Staff Reports to Council
- July 25 2022 Staff Report: Adoption
- This Staff Report contains the findings from the statutory consultation requirements (CVRD acceptance of a Regional Context Statement, K'omoks First Nation comment, Agricultural Land Commission comment).
- June 27 2022 Staff Report: OCP Third Reading
- This Staff Report contains changes proposed to the OCP following the public hearing and the OCP Bylaw No. 3070 at Third Reading
- June 27 2022 Staff Report: Zoning Amendment Bylaws Third Readings
- Minutes and submissions from the June 20, 2022 public hearings
- Minutes from the public hearings for OCP Bylaw 3070, Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3071, Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3074, and Zoning Amendment Bylaw 3075
- A number of different files are available for viewing the written submission for the various public hearings under the 'Past Meetings - Public Hearing' tab on the Council Meetings webpage
- May 30 2022 Staff Report: OCP First and Second Readings
- OCP Bylaw No. 3070 at First and Second Readings
- This Staff Report also contains the OCP Advisory Committee Report to Council; the OCP Phase 5 consultation results; and an Inventory of changes to the OCP from the January 2022 version.
- May 30 2022 Staff Report: Zoning Bylaw Amendments First and Second Readings
- Zoning Bylaw Amendment No. 3071: to permit secondary suites in more zones
- Zoning Bylaw Amendment No. 3074: to set requirements for bike parking for new multi-residential dwellings, and lower the vehicular parking requirements for new multi-residential dwellings
- Zoning Bylaw Amendment No. 3075: to include Temporary Use Permit designations and Development Permit Area guidelines within the Zoning Bylaw. This Bylaw contains also Schedule A - Development Permit Area Guidelines as a separate document.
- Watch the May 30th Staff Presentation and Council Discussion
- January 17, 2022 Staff Report: Official Community Consultation of Draft Plan [PDF - 479 KB]
- October 5, 2020 Briefing Note: Phase 2 Stakeholder and Public Consultation Results [PDF - 588 KB]
- September 21, 2020 Staff Report: Phase 3 Consultation Activities [PDF - 873 KB]
- August 4, 2020 Briefing Note: Public Online Survey [PDF - 524 KB]
- June 29, 2020 Briefing Note: Stakeholder Consultation [PDF - 522 KB]
- May 11, 2020 Staff Report: Statutory Consultation Requirements [PDF - 1 MB]
- April 20, 2020 Staff Report: OCP Project Update, GHG Target and Public Consultation [PDF - 5 MB]
- February 18, 2020 Staff Report: OCP Interium Report (Phase 1) [PDF - 6 MB]
- January 6, 2020 Staff Report: Age-friendly Communities Program Grant Application [PDF - 2 MB]
- October 21, 2019 Staff Report: OCP Advisory Committee appointments [PDF - 6 MB]
- September 3, 2019 Staff Report: Official Community Plan Project Update [PDF - 674 KB]
Watch any Council meeting recording available on the Mayor & Council Meeting Agendas, Minutes & Videos page.
Other Reports and Publications
Draft OCP Presented in January 2022 for Final Public Consultation
- Draft Development Permit Area Guidelines presented in January 2022 for final public consultation [PDF - 10 MB]
- Proposed Arden Corridor Local Area Plan Amendments [PDF - 5 MB
- Summary of the Draft Courtenay Official Community Plan [PDF - 5 MB]
- Two City of Courtenay staff video presentations (both will open in YouTube):
-30 minute presentation
-60 minute presentation
- Common Questions & Answers [PDF - 261 KB]
- OCP Vison and Goals and Youth Perspective videos
- Official Community Plan Highlights Public Engagement Panels [PDF - 13 MB]
Courtenay Age-friendly Community Action Plan
With the assistance of a grant through the BC Ministry of Health's Age-friendly, Communities Program, the City of Courtenay conducted research and consultations on how to make the OCP age-friendly for everyone. Report availale here. [PDF - 3 MB]
Courtenay Affordable Housing Strategy Options Study
Following the regional Housing Needs Assessment, options for the City of Courtenay to advance affordable housing were explored in an Options Study. Report available here. [PDF - 1 MB]
Housing Needs Assessment
As of 2018 local governments in BC are required to conduct housing studies in order to understand local housing needs and incorporate into their OCPs. The City of Courtenay partnered with the Comox Valley Regional District, Town of Comox and Village of Cumberland to look at housing needs regionally, while also understanding Courtenay's specific housing needs.
- City of Courtenay Housing Profile Infographic [PDF - 602 KB]
- CVRD Housing Needs Assessment Report [PDF - 19 MB]
- Courtenay Housing Needs Official Summary Form [PDF - 173 KB]
For more information on the regional housing assessment, including a recorded presentation of the results, visit the project page on the Comox Valley Regional District website: Comox Valley Regional Housing Needs Assessment
Economic Value of Emissions Reductions
A high-level analysis of investments required, economic value and jobs created as a result of greenhouse gas emissions reductions actions proposed in the draft OCP. Read the short report here [PDF - 676 KB].
OCP 2021 Stakeholder Engagement
Between winter 2020 and summer 2021 a series of focused virtual stakeholder sessions were held on a variety of OCP topics in order to refine policy proposals for the OCP. Report available here. [PDF - 670 KB]
OCP Fall 2020 Neighbourhood Public Engagement
Phase 3 OCP Public Engagement took place in late October and early November in a series of neighbourhood walkshops and virtual workshops. The Phase 3 Public Engagement Report [PDF - 22 MB] captures the discussion that occured. Thank you to all who participated!
OCP Summer 2020 Public Engagement
The draft vision and goal statements and land use growth concept map were presented for community feedback in Summer 2020 in the form of a public online survey and stakeholder brainstorming sessions (Phase 2 of Public Engagement). The results from those consultations are included in the respective reports below:
- Online Public Survey Engagement Summary Draft [PDF - 5 MB]
- Stakeholder Engagement Summary Draft [PDF - 7 MB]
OCP Draft Vision and Goals
OCP Public Launch February 2020
Ideas Fair Panels
- Ideas Fair Welcome Panel [PDF - 2 MB]
- Ideas Fair Display Panels [PDF - 9 MB]
- Ideas Fair Interactive Panels [PDF - 12 MB]
- OCP Advisory Committee Panels [PDF - 2 MB]
- Glossary & Key Concepts of Community Planning [PDF - 213 KB]
Ideas Fair Summary Report
Phase 1 OCP Background Research Report
The Background Research Report begins to build a baseline for Courtenay, focusing on key factors that are important to understand in creating an OCP.
Please note that the Background Report is an evolving document that will be updated as new background information comes available.
This document offers a snapshot of the public engagement process for the City of Courtenay’s Official Community Plan review and update.